Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E53 (1999 - 2006) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   akk headlamps inoperative (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329849)

primem 05-10-2019 06:11 PM

akk headlamps inoperative

Hi Everyone...first post. The wife brought home a used 2005 x5 4.4L. Now I gotta fix it.

Problem: All 4 headlights are inoperative
-xenon low beam and halogen high beams do not come on in auto or full on switch position.
-the park light do work in both switch positions
-the fog lights work
-the high beams come on for flash to pass
-check low beam message is displayed in the cluster

I've had a look at the headlight wiring diagram. Everything is fed from the headlight module. I plan to check for power and ground at the headlight connectors. If I get no power to the headlights and the wiring is intact, can I assume the headlight module is NFG?

Does the headlight module set dtcs that can be read with a scan tool?
If I need a new module...is it a dealer part only? does it need dealer programming?

Thanks

Zulu95 05-10-2019 07:22 PM

High beams might be flash to pass only if you have bi-xenon lights. Can you hear a noise like a relay operating when you go between high/low beam? It could be you need two new xenon bulbs, ballast or modules. A new LKM has to be linked to the vehicle. A number of aftermarket programs claim they can do this. When my LKM failed in the E53 the $tealer took something like 14 hours on the computer to get it linked in. Sure glad it was a CPO repair.

primem 05-10-2019 09:20 PM

I do have xenon lights. I do not hear a shutter/cut off for the xenon lights. Is the light control module located in the passenger footwell by the Apillar? I will check things out tomorrow.

Gotta say obtaining service information for this vehicle is pretty difficult and I have access to all data and identifix.

QSilver7 05-11-2019 08:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by primem (Post 12997105)
I do have xenon lights. I do not hear a shutter/cut off for the xenon lights. Is the light control module located in the passenger footwell by the Apillar? I will check things out tomorrow.

Gotta say obtaining service information for this vehicle is pretty difficult and I have access to all data and identifix.

If you dont' have the www.newtis.info website saved/bookmarked...you may want to add this site to your arsenal. If you enter the last 7 digits of your VIN...it will pull up wiring diagrams, operational and DIY instructions based on the VIN entered.

Here's some historical development of the LM/LCM info that will help you determine its location:

primem 05-11-2019 11:04 PM

Thanks. I will check it out and report back when I find a fix.

primem 05-18-2019 04:49 PM

Thanks to zulu95 and q silver7 for the info.
did some testing today
-as stated by zulu95...the highbeams are daytime running lights and flash to pass only. The hids are the full time headlights with shutters to differentiate for high and low beams. HIDS don't like to be shut on and off.

So the "highbeams/dtrl" are working normally...just no high or low beams from the xenons. I can hear the shutters working for both headlamps.
I accessed the right headlamp connector and checked for power from the light module; battery voltage was present, grd was good. The headlamp control module/ballast must be bad. I have found them at the retrofit source, much cheaper than anywhere else...$65 each. 10 to 15 days I may have lights.

Zulu95 05-18-2019 08:00 PM

I find it strange both ballast would fail at the same time but I guess anything can and does happen. Keep us posted.

primem 05-20-2019 09:13 PM

the history of the vehicle is unknown. All I know at this point is both are inop. I have power and grd to the headlamp so the fault must be in the headlamp...either the ballast or bulb. As far as I can tell, the only way to test the ballast and bulb would be to swap it with a working one.

I did not inspect inside the headlight; that might be my next step.

Zulu95 05-20-2019 09:28 PM

I do remember something about wiring faults in some facelift headlights back when they first came out. Might need to do a search for that one. One guy cut into the units to get to the faulty wires.

primem 05-25-2019 05:46 PM

update:
pulled both headlamp assemblies today to inspect the wiring. The wiring was ok....the bulbs and igniters were removed by someone before my wife bought it.

I have found an aftermarket replacement kit that includes, 2bulbs, 2 ballasts, wiring... everything for $137...and lifetime warranty.

primem 05-25-2019 05:46 PM

On another note...I called the bmw dealer for a quote for transmission control module programming. What an effort that was.

Asked for a quote to do programming....got told diagnostics are $175/hr. I said I don't need diagnostics, I need programming....was transferred to the parts dept. Told parts guy I don't need parts...sent me back to the same service writer....told her I don't need to buy any parts, I need a module reprogrammed. She didn't know what that involved. She asked someone and said it would be $135/hr and would take 2 to 3 hours.

...which is complete bs. We have zf transmissions at dodge where I work. They can be flashed in 12 minutes and quick learned in 5 minutes if the trans fluid is at the right temp. Warranty time to do this pays 12 minutes. customer pay time is 1 hour.

Gonna search for an aftermarket shop that has a j2534 programming interface....with the $1700 tool...any programming can be bought from bmw for $30.

primem 06-28-2019 10:38 PM

Update:
The first suppliers kit was not for xenons so I ended up getting bulbs and igniters from europarts.com. Everything arrived on time and all parts were the correct fit. Bulbs and igniters fixed the headlights.

I also found a Non dealer BMW shop that perfomed my trans programming for 1 hour labour time $116. The update fixed everything...the trans is shifting smooth.