Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Rear Brake Pads and Rotors (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130393)

tskbimmer 10-24-2017 12:06 PM

Rear Brake Pads and Rotors
 
Hello All ~

Proud new owner of a 428i Convertible with Xdrive here. MY 2014. Owned it about a week and got the rear brake sensor warning.

I previously owned an E46 that I loved and I have experience changing brakes and rotors on a variety of cars --- including my E46. I took some pleasure in doing these things DIY. There are tons of DIY videos out there, but I am concerned about the specifics of my car and how it might be different from those in the videos.

In any case, I am considering doing the rear brakes DIY, but I have a few questions before I jack the car.

1. I think I have a good understanding of changing pads/rotors. Have done it in the past with my E46 and other vehicles. I am not too concerned about this being substantively different from those. If I am wrong, please correct me.

2. My real concern is replacing the sensor wire. Specifically, how hard is it to reach the plug-in? Some of these vehicles have the plug in a small plastic box that is easily accessible. With others you have to remove the inner wheel cover. If this is accessible, I feel confident in my ability to replace it. If I have to start removing a bunch of crap, just to get to it --- I will likely pay the dealer to do this job.

3. I have 9 months left on my manufacturers warranty. Miles don't matter --- it is at 38k and I will not put 50k on it in the next nine months. Will this void it?

4. I have about $200 credit built up at my Ford Dealer from previous work on my Taurus. However, they won't touch my BMW. That scares me a bit and makes me think there is some kinda difficulty with this job that I don't know about.

5. These cars have a low clearance. I really like that about them, but also concerned a bit about jacking it. I have 18s. It not M-sport, but Sport line trim. Should I be concerned?

That's it guys. Any insight is very helpful.

tskbimmer 10-24-2017 01:52 PM

Dealer Cost!!!
 
Rear brakes only === Dealer just quoted $880. I am MUCH more motivated to do this job myself.

FaRKle! 10-24-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tskbimmer (Post 11351473)
Hello All ~

Proud new owner of a 428i Convertible with Xdrive here. MY 2014. Owned it about a week and got the rear brake sensor warning.

Whoa a vert, nice!


Quote:

Originally Posted by tskbimmer (Post 11351473)
1. I think I have a good understanding of changing pads/rotors. Have done it in the past with my E46 and other vehicles. I am not too concerned about this being substantively different from those. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Nope, not terribly different/difficult. Just a standard floating caliper (unless you have the M-sport brakes, in which case it's fixed). You'll want to take off the bottom plastic covers protecting the suspension components for more access to the caliper mounting bolts though.


Quote:

Originally Posted by tskbimmer (Post 11351473)
2. My real concern is replacing the sensor wire. Specifically, how hard is it to reach the plug-in? Some of these vehicles have the plug in a small plastic box that is easily accessible. With others you have to remove the inner wheel cover. If this is accessible, I feel confident in my ability to replace it. If I have to start removing a bunch of crap, just to get to it --- I will likely pay the dealer to do this job.

It's in a very easily accessible box. Don't even worry about it!


Quote:

Originally Posted by tskbimmer (Post 11351473)
3. I have 9 months left on my manufacturers warranty. Miles don't matter --- it is at 38k and I will not put 50k on it in the next nine months. Will this void it?

Pretty sure it won't void the warranty.


Quote:

Originally Posted by tskbimmer (Post 11351473)
4. I have about $200 credit built up at my Ford Dealer from previous work on my Taurus. However, they won't touch my BMW. That scares me a bit and makes me think there is some kinda difficulty with this job that I don't know about.

Nothing scary/weird/unique.


Quote:

Originally Posted by tskbimmer (Post 11351473)
5. These cars have a low clearance. I really like that about them, but also concerned a bit about jacking it. I have 18s. It not M-sport, but Sport line trim. Should I be concerned?

That's it guys. Any insight is very helpful.

You should be plenty fine. You'll have plenty of clearance in the rear to get under the diff, and the front you can always drive up on some boards if you need a bit more clearance. The only thing I'll caution is the center front jacking point is a bit curved at the front, so make sure your jack has a wide enough pad, or that your jack isn't as risk of slipping off the curved part.

tskbimmer 10-24-2017 02:42 PM

Thanks so much!!!
 
Worried that my jack will be low profile enough, but at that cost ---- I can get a new jack!

I really very much appreciate it.

eljefe68 10-24-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tskbimmer (Post 11352809)
Rear brakes only === Dealer just quoted $880. I am MUCH more motivated to do this job myself.

Greets. I got a similar quote from my dealer on the brakes - $800 per axle. Recently, I got the brake wear warning, so it was upon me. I decided to do it myself. Even with buying a low profile jack and specialized jack stands, I did all four for around $900. Going forward, I will be able to do the job for $400.

To your questions: the wear sensors are relatively easy on the front - the junction box is right there in the inner fender well. On the back, you need to loosen, not remove, the inner fender liner to get to the junction box where the wear sensor plugs in.

As for jacking it up, Kies Motorsports has a great video on YouTube on jacking up an F30. Pay attention to the jack points he shows. I did buy the jack stands he uses along with the Burger Tuning jack pad adapters. For the floor jack, definitely get a low profile jack. I got mine at Harbor Freight. It is practically identical to the one Brian uses in the video, but it was half the cost of that Arcan jack.

Look for a post from me about my brake job in the next few days.

Sansom 10-24-2017 11:41 PM

Be sure to order your replacement brake parts (calipers, pads, sensors) through FCP Euro. They have lifetime replacement warranty on all parts sold. Next time it's time for a brake job, you simply mail the old worn rotors, pads and sensors back and FCP Euro sends you new ones.

Korzhik 07-12-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sansom (Post 11357433)
Be sure to order your replacement brake parts (calipers, pads, sensors) through FCP Euro. They have lifetime replacement warranty on all parts sold. Next time it's time for a brake job, you simply mail the old worn rotors, pads and sensors back and FCP Euro sends you new ones.

Is this true? Can someone else confirm? I'm about to replace my brakes and will definitely use FCP Euro if this is the case.

Sansom 07-12-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korzhik (Post 13051959)
Is this true? Can someone else confirm? I'm about to replace my brakes and will definitely use FCP Euro if this is the case.

You can check it out on their website itself. And google peoples experience. The guarantee is real. It can get gimmicky on things like 'engine oil'. What I mean by that is that the requirement of the lifetime warranty is to ship the old part back. For a high priced item, this is still a good deal for you. For an inexpensive item (like engine oil), the cost to send the used oil back negates any benefit of free replacement oil (unless you live very close to FCP Euro).

namelessman 07-12-2019 10:07 AM

To OP, just search "F30 rear brake" on utube for DIY videos for pads + rotors + sensors replacement, it does not look too bad at all.

John in VA 07-12-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korzhik (Post 13051959)
Is this true? Can someone else confirm? I'm about to replace my brakes and will definitely use FCP Euro if this is the case.

It's true - https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.