Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Semi-OT: Tools.... (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338167)

tlester 07-11-2019 04:26 PM

Semi-OT: Tools....

Hi all -

This is kind of off topic, other than I'm needing to do my 60k miles maintenance and I'm moving and I'm refreshing all my tools. I've given my old ****ty tools to my son. Much of my old stuff has been lost over a few recent cross state moves. What I do/did have weren't that great in the first place.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good brand of tools. Hand tools for mechanic stuff. I'm wanting made in the USA, lifetime warrantee. Not Craftsman since it's now made in China. Something mid-tier that will last me the rest of my life, but won't break the bank.

Any suggestions?

-tom

Autoputzer 07-11-2019 07:46 PM

Estate sales sometime have a load of Made In U.S.A. Craftsman tools. The Craftsman brand has recently been bought by Stanley Tool Works, and they're bringing a lot of the tool production back to the U.S.

dzlbimmer 07-11-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlester (Post 13051443)
Hi all -

This is kind of off topic, other than I'm needing to do my 60k miles maintenance and I'm moving and I'm refreshing all my tools. I've given my old ****ty tools to my son. Much of my old stuff has been lost over a few recent cross state moves. What I do/did have weren't that great in the first place.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a good brand of tools. Hand tools for mechanic stuff. I'm wanting made in the USA, lifetime warrantee. Not Craftsman since it's now made in China. Something mid-tier that will last me the rest of my life, but won't break the bank.

Any suggestions?

-tom

Buy a metric starter kit off someone that is changing careers or didn't finish school. Mac matco snapon cornwell etc. Craigslist or other classifieds probably best bet.

tlester 07-12-2019 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autoputzer (Post 13051589)
Estate sales sometime have a load of Made In U.S.A. Craftsman tools. The Craftsman brand has recently been bought by Stanley Tool Works, and they're bringing a lot of the tool production back to the U.S.

Good to know they are bringing Craftsman back. That used to be my go to.

Autoputzer 07-12-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlester (Post 13051843)
Good to know they are bringing Craftsman back. That used to be my go to.

They're building a new factory in Texas.

I was in Lowe's a few weeks ago, and they were selling Craftsman tool chests made in the U.S., but with imported components.