Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 G01 (2018 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Tailgate Opening Up Randomly (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1211137)

calbbs 01-12-2018 07:46 PM

Tailgate Opening Up Randomly

Has anybody had issues with their tailgate opening up on its own?
My daughter and her husband have had their 2018 30i for three weeks now and she has had the tailgate open on its own twice now. Once when her husband came home and try to open the garage door it got hung up on the tailgate that was open on the X3 in the garage. Then she says another day she was walked past the closed tailgate about 2-3 feet away from the back was talking with someone a good distance away, turned around and the tailgate was open. Sheís taking into the BMW dealership on Monday to talk about this and also see if they can do anything with the scratches the garage door put on the tailgate.
Iím also interested for myself since Iím picking up our M40i tomorrow if they get it ready in time. [emoji16]
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

BobBass 01-12-2018 08:24 PM

I back my vehicles up fairly close to our front step and a couple of times on my 2015 when I walked past the rear I must have been close enough to the sensor to trigger the door to open or, if it was already open, to close. One time it actually CONKED me on the head! Haven't had my '18 long enough to say whether it's an issue or not.

I guess they've tried to recreate what happened. That's what I'd do.

FCBayernFTW 01-12-2018 09:20 PM

Where is the key fob stored? Iíve walked outside to an open trunk with my M4. Iím pretty sure itís because my key fob is stored in my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

calbbs 01-12-2018 11:11 PM

When the fob is in the house itís about 25 feet away on a table next to a wall shared with the garage. When outside itís either in a purse or a pocket.
Sheís also been konked once in the noggin right after she got the car.
Can the sensitivity be adjusted through iDrive?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Yizu 01-12-2018 11:52 PM

I had the same problem severeal times with my F31. Sometimes it openen ehen I was standing before a traffic light. Luckely it never opened while driving.

JRSteeno 01-13-2018 04:28 AM

I've had this happen a couple times. Once was about a month ago while washing my car in the driveway. As I was rinsing the rear hatch with the fob in my pocket it started to open. Luckily I was able to close it quickly before a bunch of water got inside. Hard to believe that water running off the back would activate the sensor. I put the fob inside the house and it didn't happen again.

calbbs 01-13-2018 09:26 AM

I wondering if the fob was close enough in the house and when husband started to open the garage a shadow triggered it?
I do not have Keyless Access on my F31 but I just read in the manual that ďinadvertent openingĒ can happen if the fob is within 5 feet.

Ridin'Dirty 01-13-2018 09:34 AM

This has been a continuing problem for us folks over on the X1-F48 board. Here's a copy of a TSB that may benefit the folks here that are having this same issue:
https://preview.ibb.co/fQaaHR/Hatch_...e_Bulletin.jpg

calbbs 01-13-2018 12:47 PM

Thanks RD, Iíll pass this on to my daughter and keep in mind for myself once I get the M40i
And thanks to everyone else sharing your experiences.

Ridin'Dirty 01-13-2018 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbbs (Post 12005985)
Iím picking up our M40i tomorrow if they get it ready in time.

Sure hope you stop back in with a review of your new ride and to share a couple of pics. I sure like what I see on those YouTube videos from the auto shows.

calbbs 01-13-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty (Post 12013729)
Sure hope you stop back in with a review of your new ride and to share a couple of pics. I sure like what I see on those YouTube videos from the auto shows.

Iíll definitely come back with a review and pics. I was told by my SA yesterday that they would probably have it ready today the 13th and they would call me when it was ready. I never got the call. Part of me is thinking that it is stuck at the VDC in Oxnard because 101 is closed from the mudslides. If thatís the case I really donít care when the car gets it here. The situation there is much more important and tragic.
Iíve been reading all the posts on the threads you suggested. Boy this problem goes way back. I think my daughterís 30i was built before the fix came out and my M40i after the fix. So Iím curious what they do for her on Monday and if mine has any problems.

jgroarke 01-14-2018 04:55 AM

I know I said this before on another thread - but this happened to me randomly a couple of years back - I narrowed it down to me carrying the key in my back pocket - maybe this is not your issue but I hope so (easily rectifiable ;-).

calbbs 01-14-2018 03:06 PM

A lot of the people in the threads I read had this happen to them when they were reaching into the back while loading and unloading. So they needed the fob.
Got the call this morning, car came in last night. Picking it up at 1:00 tomorrow.

Ridin'Dirty 01-14-2018 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by calbbs (Post 12019697)
A lot of the people in the threads I read had this happen to them when they were reaching into the back while loading and unloading. So they needed the fob.

At first, I thought that somehow I was activating the hatch button while the fob was in my pocket. Got on the Interwebs, bought a case for it and figured that my problems were over...NOT! Then I had a different spin on this problem: When washing my car and dragging the hose past the right rear corner (passenger side) of the car, the hatch would open on its own!:yikes: Heck, I can even activate the Comfort Access feature to lock/unlock the doors by playing a stream of water over the door handle when I have the key fob on my person. :wow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbbs (Post 12019697)
Got the call this morning, car came in last night. Picking it up at 1:00 tomorrow.

OH BOY, OH BOY!!!:banana:

calbbs 01-14-2018 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty (Post 12021161)
At first, I thought that somehow I was activating the hatch button while the fob was in my pocket. Got on the Interwebs, bought a case for it and figured that my problems were over...NOT! Then I had a different spin on this problem: When washing my car and dragging the hose past the right rear corner (passenger side) of the car, the hatch would open on its own!:yikes: Heck, I can even activate the Comfort Access feature to unlock the doors by playing a stream of water over the door handle when I have the key fob on my person. :wow:

OH BOY, OH BOY!!!:banana:

This could be interesting. Start a thread for most unconventional ways to activate Comfort Access.

pskdude 01-15-2018 07:01 AM

Ive had this happen to me several times!
I get to my car in the morning or at night to grab something only to find my trunk open. For a moment i thought i was robbed.

Still trying to figure out how it opens. Only thought is i pressed the trunk hatch which is long ways out from my car to apartment. :dunno:

senoromar 01-17-2018 02:25 PM

This just happened to me today for the first time. I had the fob in my pocket but I wasn't even near the car, I was indoors but still within range if i were to use the fob. Interestingly the tailgate was only open about 25%.

I have no idea if this issue is related to the fob or the automatic opening sensor.

calbbs 01-17-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senoromar (Post 12048721)
This just happened to me today for the first time. I had the fob in my pocket but I wasn't even near the car, I was indoors but still within range if i were to use the fob. Interestingly the tailgate was only open about 25%.

I have no idea if this issue is related to the fob or the automatic opening sensor.

When was the production week for your car?

senoromar 01-17-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calbbs (Post 12049305)
When was the production week for your car?

Week 50. I had tailgate opening issues on my prior F15 which were fob in pocket related. My hunch is itís the same issue but curious why it was open only a quarter of the way.

SpeedyK 01-18-2018 07:12 AM

I think the key fob is too sensitive. I reported a similar problem with my car alarm went off for no reason. I noticed whenever it happened, the key fob was in my pocket with other keys. It is possible that other objects in my pocket pressed the panic button to trigger the alarm. Is it possible similar thing could happen in your case?

pskdude 01-27-2018 09:42 AM

This is becoming extremely annoying. Ive had several times at work im glad i was informed before my stuff was stolen. Has the case worked for anyone ?

AVI8HISTORY 01-28-2018 07:03 AM

If youíre carrying your key fob in your pocket or ladies in a purse or man bag with anything attached to it or with anything in your pocket that is hard youíre likely accidentally opening the tail gate when the tailgate button is contacted by keys or pocket change, etc. I had the gate open on different occasions until I figured that out. I took my house keys off my fob and keep it now in a pocket free of anything else. Just like a so-called pocket dial with a cell phone.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

Classj 02-03-2018 05:40 AM

On day 5 of ownership, a friend came over and said "FYI your trunk is open". I went out to the driveway and sure enough the hatch was open about 8".
:dunno:

Autoputzer 02-03-2018 05:51 AM

I had this problem with my F10 535i once or twice. My problem ended up being the key fob button being pushed while in my pants pocket. My solution is to carry my fob in my shirt pocket.

Doug Huffman 02-03-2018 05:58 AM

LOL. No skinny-jeans for BMW owners, not if they want to pocket their fob.

Autoputzer 02-03-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Huffman (Post 12202561)
LOL. No skinny-jeans for BMW owners, not if they want to pocket their fob.

Sometimes, I wear stretchy pants... in my room.... just for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N14Y81L4IXE

yi5hedr3 02-03-2018 07:37 AM

Yes - happened all the time on my 340i. Part of it I think is walking behind car. I try to walk around the front now instead.
Part of it could be the fob button accidentally pressed while in pocket. I bought a leather key case for it too now, and
the problem seems to have gone pretty much away! :)

theseanofsydney 02-10-2018 07:43 PM

I've had the same problem.
Noticed is fob was in my pocket and fabric was non stretch when sitting on a bar stool and pockets tight caused the boot to open.

Never from waking behind car. Only when washing with fob in pocket it opens

Sent from my SM-G950F using Bimmerfest mobile app

calbbs 02-13-2018 06:01 AM

Finally got a chance to wash the car yesterday and got the premature opening (sic) twice. Once from the water coming down over the sensor and the last time when squatting down cleaning the rear bumper. Almost got kinked in the head on the second one but I heard it disengage and ducked just in time. Actually made me [emoji4]. I would take the fob out of my pocket and put on the front porch but then put it back in my pocket because I needed to move the car and forget to remove it. No other premature openings in the three weeks weíve had it.

srej 03-06-2018 02:03 PM

My X3 2018's tailgate also opens itself randomly. 5 times it opened while driving once when it was parked and multiple times while washing. Opening of tailgate while driving is scariest part as sometimes it opens little bit (few inches) you may not even know if its opened for few minutes or more. I am worried it can injure others or even dangerous gases can get into vehicle from exhaust.

It got repaired twice for same problem, but it still did not get fixed. Not sure what to do next, should file lemon due to safety ?

DavidLX3 M40i 03-07-2018 09:16 AM

Scary that the hatch would just open. Surprised the service bulletin posted previously did not resolve it.:thumbdwn:

Rallen88 03-11-2018 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVI8HISTORY (Post 12148993)
If youíre carrying your key fob in your pocket or ladies in a purse or man bag with anything attached to it or with anything in your pocket that is hard youíre likely accidentally opening the tail gate when the tailgate button is contacted by keys or pocket change, etc. I had the gate open on different occasions until I figured that out. I took my house keys off my fob and keep it now in a pocket free of anything else. Just like a so-called pocket dial with a cell phone.

I would suggest that the problem with the tailgate lifting randomly is related more to a hyper sensitive optical sensor for the tailgate. BMW has acknowledged this via a Technical Service Bulletin dated November 2017 (SI B66 23 17): "Contactless Tailgate (Smart Opener) is too sensitive." On that TSB, 12 BMW models were noted as being affected. In that TSB, the cause of the condition is listed as "Overly sensitive Smart Opener Control Unit." The correction is listed as being "Replace Smart Opener Control Unit."

Judy G 03-11-2018 06:50 AM

Same thing happened to us. My husband used to carry the key all the time and we would find the tailgate open in the garage at odd times. After I opened the garage into the open tailgate once He no longer keeps it on him. The X5 is my car anyways and I'm the primary driver so he really didn't need to keep it with him. so far I have not had a problem with keeping it in my purse, but it's in a separate pocket away from anything.

Spoonie G 03-11-2018 09:07 AM

Happened to me once. Could have been I pressed to tailgate button thinking it was the window switch. But I'm sure I had both hands on the wheel when it popped up. And even if I did press the release, I was moving at 20mph, shouldn't it not open?

Pawww 03-13-2018 02:08 PM

Happened to us twice, once with fob in pocket once with it in my backpack just sitting there.

SpeedyK 03-13-2018 02:24 PM

I think the tailgate only open when the car is in park. It won't open if the car in in R, D nor N. I need to verify this again. If this is true, it make me wonder why people claim their tailgate open when they are driving?

Spoonie G 03-13-2018 04:19 PM

I couldn't close mine from the switch. It opened but refused to close. We recently had a snow storm and the car was very dirty. I was dropping someone off who had a bag of clothes in the back. Before I could get out and investigate, or use the button, my buddy had already closed it by pushing down on the gritty dirty paint surface with his hands causing scratches on the paint!!! From now on I will not pop the trunk for someone unless i'm out there myself. Or do some practicing to see if I was doing something wrong.

Spoonie G 03-13-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedyK (Post 12400724)
I think the tailgate only open when the car is in park. It won't open if the car in in R, D nor N. I need to verify this again. If this is true, it make me wonder why people claim their tailgate open when they are driving?

Not true, my tailgate opened while in drive and the vehicle was moving.

SpeedyK 03-14-2018 07:00 AM

According to the user manual, the switch inside can only open but cannot close the tailgate. It is kind of quirky or stupid to have such a design. My Ex-Toyota van can do both from inside.

Also, I am going to spend some time to verify how the tailgate operate under various condition, like how far the fob can open the tailgate remotely or swipe my foot below the tailgate to open ... etc. Please stay tune on this. Thanks.

titomi 03-14-2018 08:39 AM

What about the post from Rallen88 (#32)? If thatīs true, than just go to the dealer a it will be fixed.

SpeedyK 03-14-2018 10:53 AM

I think my problem is different. I am still trying to figure out whether my problems are human error, like I was wearing a tight jean and there were some other objects in the same pocket which might accidently press the fob to open the tailgate without me knowing. So, I will to figure out under which conditions the tailgate can or cannot be open like how far out the fob before the tailgate won't open even you press the fob.

bayg01 03-14-2018 10:58 AM

Came outside and saw the trunk of my G01 open about 8-10 inches. If it was FOB triggered I would have thought the hatch would have ended up full open. Will monitor. If this happens in my very tight fitting garage it could cause me issues getting my garage door open, let alone damage to the vehicle.

Will monitor.

bayg01 03-14-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bayg01 (Post 12402404)
Came outside and saw the trunk of my G01 open about 8-10 inches. If it was FOB triggered I would have thought the hatch would have ended up full open. Will monitor. If this happens in my very tight fitting garage it could cause me issues getting my garage door open, let alone damage to the vehicle.

Will monitor.

Also note we have a trailer hitch so no comfort access. Build week was 01/29/18.

frank23 03-14-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedyK (Post 12401930)
According to the user manual, the switch inside can only open but cannot close the tailgate. It is kind of quirky or stupid to have such a design. My Ex-Toyota van can do both from inside.

You should be able to do coding to enable the switch to do both. Check the coding forum, I only have experience with coding my F36, I've ordered a G01 M40i.

But indeed it is rather annoying that it isn't enabled in the US by default (I expect it does work as standard in other countries).

SteveBB 03-14-2018 11:28 AM

Fob case available

This has happened to me twice in the three weeks that I've had my new 2018 x3. Both times I believe it's been due to carrying the key fob in my pocket. I'm picking up a case for the key tomorrow.
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/5215/BMW-KEY-CASE-MOCHA

Spoonie G 03-14-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

I closed mine using the switch. Strange

cowboys5 03-14-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Also, I am going to spend some time to verify how the tailgate operate under various condition, like how far the fob can open the tailgate remotely or swipe my foot below the tailgate to open ... etc. Please stay tune on this. Thanks.

I have the same design on my Porsche Cayenne. The Germans call it a safety feature so that you don't close the door on someone's head because you're in the car. I prefer my Honda mini van's approach where you can close it from anywhere.

KTMF 03-14-2018 05:20 PM

Mine closes from the switch on the driver door panel. One push down and it opens.
Hold button up and it starts beeping and closes. Have to hold switch all the way.
No special coding done here.
Mine won't close from the key fob

brown9335 03-28-2018 06:50 PM

BMW employee here and I'm currently leasing a 2018 X4. I've had the car 3 weeks and my rear hatch has opened on it's own 11 times now. Mine opens because I carry the keys in my pocket. It opened once while in drive and stopped at a traffic light. I hadn't figured out that the driver door hatch switch will close it if you hold it up for a few seconds. I had to find a way off the road so I could stop, get out and close the hatch. It's getting annoying to go outside on my way to work and see the hatch open. I've also been shopping at the mall, came out and there it is, wide open. Fortunately nothing has been stolen yet but it's only a matter of time. Is anyone aware of a way to disable the key fob button for opening the hatch? I have no where else to carry my keys. I've checked the vehicle settings but found no way to isolate the rear hatch from the key fob button. VERY annoyed with this!

Ridin'Dirty 03-28-2018 06:54 PM

See post#8. There's a service bulletin that covers this problem.

Rallen88 03-28-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brown9335 (Post 12432610)
BMW employee here and I'm currently leasing a 2018 X4. I've had the car 3 weeks and my rear hatch has opened on it's own 11 times now. Mine opens because I carry the keys in my pocket. It opened once while in drive and stopped at a traffic light. I hadn't figured out that the driver door hatch switch will close it if you hold it up for a few seconds. I had to find a way off the road so I could stop, get out and close the hatch. It's getting annoying to go outside on my way to work and see the hatch open. I've also been shopping at the mall, came out and there it is, wide open. Fortunately nothing has been stolen yet but it's only a matter of time. Is anyone aware of a way to disable the key fob button for opening the hatch? I have no where else to carry my keys. I've checked the vehicle settings but found no way to isolate the rear hatch from the key fob button. VERY annoyed with this!

If you purchase the BMW key fob case, using it, you'll be able to prevent the buttons on the fob from being depressed while in your pocket. (This is based on my own experience.)
However, I think you'll find that the problem is not being caused (for the most part) due to the buttons on the fob being depressed. The issue is with the optical sensor - which BMW has acknowledged is hyper sensitive. I believe there is a fix for it...

brown9335 03-28-2018 07:18 PM

Thanks RidinDirty. I had read the service bulletin and I'm more convinced in my case that it's the button being unintentionally depressed while in my pocket rather than an over sensitive smart opener sensor. There's nothing behind my car in my driveway and possibly cars going by too close in a mall parking lot with me now where near shouldn't cause it to open. I suppose a key fob case is the answer to my issue. I've had Z4's, 230s, M240 and a 440 without having this issue. I think I will take it over to the performance center and let them change out the smart opener sensor since it costs me nothing other than time out of my day. As we say in the south; thanks y'all.

SpeedyK 03-29-2018 06:31 AM

If you are referring to the hands free operation, the tail gate sensor only work if the fob is close by like less than 1-2 feet. I have verified that if you placed the fob in the rear passenger seat, and then go outside to wave your feet below the rear bumper, the tail gate won't open. So, in most cases, the tail gate open is because the fob was unintentionally depressed by an object. Now, I removed all my other keys to a different key chain and leave the fob alone, and put them in separate pockets. Since then, I never experience the problem again. Hope this will help.

jeff_K 03-29-2018 06:03 PM

Test drove the new X3 recently - as demonstrated by my sales manager, tail-gate sensor works only if key fob is within 3 feet of sensor.

mackerman22 07-27-2018 11:35 AM

This is driving me nuts! I walked out of Home Depot yesterday and the rear hatch was open with my briefcase (with my laptop inside) was sitting there for anyone to take. Then last night I went out to the garage and the hatch was open again. I had parked a couple inches to the right, the hatch would have hit the bar coming down from the garage door opener and would have likely damaged the car. I had the same issue on my 2014 Chevy SS and they reprogrammed the system so that you had to hold the button down for three seconds. However, when you had tighter fitting pants on, the three second delay did not work. A couple of times I came out to find my trunk open while it was pouring rain.

SpeedyK 07-27-2018 11:46 AM

Try to remove everything attached to your key fob, and make sure no other object can pinch the key fob and you will be OK. I have been doing it for almost a year and never had the tailgate open again by itself:-)

Judy G 07-27-2018 12:06 PM

My husband no longer leaves the key in his pocket. That seemed to fix the problem for us.

Doug Huffman 07-27-2018 12:14 PM

BMW fob cover

Rallen88 07-27-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Huffman (Post 12652192)
BMW fob cover

In theory, a reasonable recommendation to make - but actually never addressed the problem for me. The BMW fob cover made no difference. BMW had no solution - other than to disable the functionality altogether.

chrise2 08-16-2018 06:07 AM

Yeah, i have this problem too on my G01 X3. In fact I just dented the liftgate when it opened while in the garage and I opened the garage door without noticing it was open a few inches and pressed against the garage door. Then, the other day I went somewhere and when I walked out to the parking lot, the lift gate was fully open. I just ordered the below key fob cover to hopefully help. Both times it opened, the fob was in my pocket with other keys and stuff. I've also set off the alarm in my garage too so I'm pretty sure the buttons are just getting pressed. Hopefully this solves it.

BTW, if someone actually gets BMW to cover the repair of the lift gate, I'd love to know as that would be amazing. But I'm not terribly hopeful. Dented the lift gate and didn't even have 1000 miles on the car yet. Grr....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1VDOX1

Judy G 08-16-2018 12:24 PM

We were lucky as it only chipped the paint and no dents. Had it repaired and you would never know. My husband just bought a key fob cover from the dealer when we were in Denver.

darrylo 08-16-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrise2 (Post 12684438)
I just ordered the below key fob cover to hopefully help. Both times it opened, the fob was in my pocket with other keys and stuff. I've also set off the alarm in my garage too so I'm pretty sure the buttons are just getting pressed. Hopefully this solves it.

Hopefully, it will fix the problem for you, but note that the material is fairly thin and flexible. If your pockets are tight, I wouldn't expect it to help much. You can still squeeze the middle and open the hatch. It's better than nothing, though.

The BMW cover is a lot stiffer and prevents button presses better, but a good squeeze in the right place can still open the hatch. It's also very thick (like 1" thick).

(I have both, and ended up using the BMW one, even though it's almost absurdly thick.)

mtbrdad 05-20-2019 10:55 AM

Count me in

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrise2 (Post 12684438)
Yeah, i have this problem too on my G01 X3. In fact I just dented the liftgate when it opened while in the garage and I opened the garage door without noticing it was open a few inches and pressed against the garage door. Then, the other day I went somewhere and when I walked out to the parking lot, the lift gate was fully open. I just ordered the below key fob cover to hopefully help. Both times it opened, the fob was in my pocket with other keys and stuff. I've also set off the alarm in my garage too so I'm pretty sure the buttons are just getting pressed. Hopefully this solves it.

BTW, if someone actually gets BMW to cover the repair of the lift gate, I'd love to know as that would be amazing. But I'm not terribly hopeful. Dented the lift gate and didn't even have 1000 miles on the car yet. Grr....

I've been having the same problem finding the rear hatch open on occasion and just the other day while opening the garage door the hatch must have somehow opened during the previous evening. A small amount of paint scrape on the edge but no dents or dings. For this key fob controller what a piece if shiite design by the BMW engineers. We've had numerous minivans all with sliding doors and rear hatches and none of those no matter where the keys were placed ever inadvertently opened the doors.

WHITEX 05-21-2019 08:17 PM

Ordered the OEM today. Windows went down...alarm went off...enough is enough:bigpimp:

Ridin'Dirty 05-21-2019 08:24 PM

A key fob case never solved the problem for me; I ended up just disconnecting the module behind the rear bumper. Although, I read on this forum that this "feature" can be coded out.

FCBayernFTW 05-21-2019 10:11 PM

I take my keys out at work. This happened with my M4 and this X3

SteveBB 05-22-2019 04:27 AM

Once I got the key fob the problem permanently ceased.

allwheelsdriven 06-28-2019 10:19 AM

Also a hassle while car washing

Ridin'Dirty 06-28-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allwheelsdriven (Post 13039831)
Also a hassle while car washing

Mine even activates the Comfort Access option when hand washing by locking/unlocking the doors whenever a stream of water from the hose plays across the door handle(s). :tsk:

BobsM3Coupe 06-28-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty (Post 13040063)
Mine even activates the Comfort Access option when hand washing by locking/unlocking the doors whenever a stream of water from the hose plays across the door handle(s). :tsk:

That's normal across many brands, not just BMW.

Ridin'Dirty 06-28-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe (Post 13040129)
That's normal across many brands, not just BMW.

Might be, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable.

fast400 08-04-2019 05:20 PM

The key fob seems to be the trigger on this. Unfortunately the rigid "Key Fob Holder" are large and bulky. I found a cheap solution which has proven itself over the past year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz-e-sh4AdU

WHITEX 08-08-2019 05:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Simply fix. Bulky but functional

xx 08-08-2019 08:49 AM

^Whoa... this one way too classy lol. But honestly we all (except for a few unlucky chaps) have wireless keys and don't need to get it out of the pouch.

WHITEX 08-08-2019 11:07 AM

Have to make something for the Mini. Was playing pool in my friends living room.....convertible top retracted to open sunroof.... windows went down. Years ago I was in a DunkinDonuts.... I see a car in parking lot with flashers on... tailgate up on a my Q3. These fobs are not meant to be sat or leaned on.

luigi524td 08-08-2019 11:21 AM

No FOB SOB Story

2 Attachment(s)
More than 10 years ago I had an unexpected sunroof and side-window opening in my new Comfort Access equipped '06 530xi. I thought it was possessed. It only took me about 3 minutes to realize I had inadvertently pressed the "open" button on the key FOB safely tucked away in my pocket - along with a collection of keys and money :-(
The next morning I ordered BMW Key Fob "Cases" for both our FOBs ... that's been the first accessory acquisition for the 2013 X1, my previous 2013 535xDrive, and my current '17 540xDrive. I've had "0" recurrence of unintended openings. They also "protect" the FOB from scratches etc when living in my wife's pocketbook - surrounded by miscellaneous 'deadly' objects.

I don't find them "bulky" at all - though I do not have one of the SUPER DUPER MEGA FOB with remote control parking etc. That's a "Tile" attached to the one FOB cover pictured here - additional protection against being misplaced or lost.

WHITEX 08-08-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luigi524td (Post 13074739)
More than 10 years ago I had an unexpected sunroof and side-window opening in my new Comfort Access equipped '06 530xi. I thought it was possessed. It only took me about 3 minutes to realize I had inadvertently pressed the "open" button on the key FOB safely tucked away in my pocket - along with a collection of keys and money :-(
The next morning I ordered BMW Key Fob "Cases" for both our FOBs ... that's been the first accessory acquisition for the 2013 X1, my previous 2013 535xDrive, and my current '17 540xDrive. I've had "0" recurrence of unintended openings. They also "protect" the FOB from scratches etc when living in my wife's pocketbook - surrounded by miscellaneous 'deadly' objects.

I don't find them "bulky" at all - though I do not have one of the SUPER DUPER MEGA FOB with remote control parking etc. That's a "Tile" attached to the one FOB cover pictured here - additional protection against being misplaced or lost.

I have one of those. It's collecting dust. Might try it.

dasmodul 08-12-2019 11:13 PM

This happened to me 2x on my brand new 2k19 M40i. Unfortunately both were in my garage and it hit the door like your daughters. The first time the bolt on the garage door nicked it. I had it repaired immediately and put clear bra on the tailgate so the second time no damage. I haven't figured out why it happened but i know both times the keyfob was in my pocket. Since then i leave it in the house when walking around car in garage and try not to walk behind it in case kick sensor activates it. So far it hasn't happened since i started this new regimen. But I'd love to have the sensitivity reduced somehow if possible.

xx 08-15-2019 10:09 AM

For the fun of it I was thinking of making/printing my own twin-remotes mini-enclosure. So I put the m-sail remote flat on a desk to check/measure. It's actually tapered from one side to the other, with about 1 mm difference. Then i put/rest a ruler over the door unlock button... it doesn't touch the button... good... a small gap. Then over the lock/roundel button... just about touches (fair). Then over the tailgate and emergency buttons.... oh yes these 2 buttons stick out a little. It's probably easier to trigger the tailgate or siren than to do something really useful like to keep re-locking the car every other minute lol.

Closem Joe 08-15-2019 10:23 AM

Hey Das, you know you can adjust the height that your tailgate opens. That way if it opens by accident, it won't hit your opened garage door damaging the tailgate!:thumbup: