Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - 2015) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Cabin air filter & air filter (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326625)

mickkassem 04-15-2019 02:19 PM

Cabin air filter & air filter

Years ago when cars were simpler, I seemed to do a lot of the maintenance myself. Now I don't. I am scheduled to go in for an oil change and believe it is time for a cabin air filter and engine air filter (22,000 miles). They both look reasonably simple to install.

If you have done it, was it fairly simple and where and what brand of filters did you purchase?

Thanks for the help.

stonex1 04-16-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickkassem (Post 12972627)
Years ago when cars were simpler, I seemed to do a lot of the maintenance myself. Now I don't. I am scheduled to go in for an oil change and believe it is time for a cabin air filter and engine air filter (22,000 miles). They both look reasonably simple to install.

If you have done it, was it fairly simple and where and what brand of filters did you purchase?

Thanks for the help.

It is super simple to install both the cabin filter and engine air filter.
Just order them from amazon. (Mann filters are popular)

Simple clips for the engine air filter, and a few screws for the cabin filter which is just below the windshield inside the engine bay.

mreric 04-16-2019 11:16 AM

oil changes are super easy as well, save you hundreds, thousands over the life of the car.

you also do not need a computer to reset the reminder.

buying a few jack stands and jack or ramp still cheaper then the labor they charge for a simple oil change service....

after you have done it a few time you can do it in 30 min... less time then the drive to the dealer

Yukoner 04-16-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreric (Post 12973373)
oil changes are super easy as well, save you hundreds, thousands over the life of the car.

I don't disagree, but what do you do with the used waste oil ?

mreric 04-16-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukoner (Post 12973513)
I don't disagree, but what do you do with the used waste oil ?

I am not sure how it is in Canada, but in my State of California, every auto part store, walmart takes your recycle oil for free.

in my city you can also schedule a pick up of the oil - all free.

i have 16qts pan. for about 3 oil changes.

Doug Huffman 04-16-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreric (Post 12973523)
I am not sure how it is in Canada, but in my State of California, every auto part store, walmart takes your recycle oil fro free. in my city you can also schedule a pick up of the oil - all free. i have 16qts pan. for about 3 oil changes.

TANSTAAFL!. California will soon legislate OCI. State fleets are required to manufacturers OCI.

luigi524td 04-16-2019 02:45 PM

Cabin (HVAC) & engine air filters

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonex1 (Post 12973341)
It is super simple to install both the cabin filter and engine air filter.
Just order them from amazon. (Mann filters are popular)

Simple clips for the engine air filter, and a few screws for the cabin filter which is just below the windshield inside the engine bay.

Cabin Air Filter is super easy - a few bolts under hood. Good time to clear any winter debris (leaves, etc) that may have collected there. Can't remember what on-line store I bought mine from - it's a Mann / "Carbon Activated" (OEM QUALITY). There are cheaper ones out there but most are plain paper.

Did the engine air breather filter a couple years back - also super easy.

You can grab instructions and parts info by searching your specific model here:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/

Yukoner 04-16-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreric (Post 12973523)
I am not sure how it is in Canada, but in my State of California, every auto part store, walmart takes your recycle oil for free.

in my city you can also schedule a pick up of the oil - all free.

i have 16qts pan. for about 3 oil changes.

Heh, nooooooo, not here. You have to pay to dispose of waste oil and there are strict regulations around it. That's why I don't do my own oil change - too much hassle moving around waste oil and paying to get rid of it.

That's awesome that it's a pre-paid service in CA (I assume it's prepaid, like when you pay a tire disposal levy when you buy new tires).

JimH46 04-17-2019 06:12 AM

Did my own cabin and air filters last year as the free maintenance on my X1 was over. Got mine from RockAuto. Lots of choices but I got Mann filters. Pretty easy.

mreric 04-17-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukoner (Post 12973741)
Heh, nooooooo, not here. You have to pay to dispose of waste oil and there are strict regulations around it. That's why I don't do my own oil change - too much hassle moving around waste oil and paying to get rid of it.

That's awesome that it's a pre-paid service in CA (I assume it's prepaid, like when you pay a tire disposal levy when you buy new tires).

is free here, my guess is that when i buy oil from any retailer money is coming out from the purchase to fund that program.

i was googling this subject and found that that in Canada is also free in many places.

http://usedoilrecycling.com/

Yukoner 04-17-2019 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreric (Post 12974227)
is free here, my guess is that when i buy oil from any retailer money is coming out from the purchase to fund that program.

i was googling this subject and found that that in Canada is also free in many places.

http://usedoilrecycling.com/

Yeah, so in Alberta for example:

Eligible Products and Fees
The environmental fees Albertans pay when purchasing new lubricating oil and oil filters, ranging from $0.05 to $1.00, are used to help fund the cost to recycle them. There are 230 recycling depots (collection sites) across the province where you can take your used oil materials so they can be recycled in an effective, secure and environmentally safe manner.

No such thing here in the Yukon :(

mreric 04-17-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukoner (Post 12974653)
Yeah, so in Alberta for example:

Eligible Products and Fees
The environmental fees Albertans pay when purchasing new lubricating oil and oil filters, ranging from $0.05 to $1.00, are used to help fund the cost to recycle them. There are 230 recycling depots (collection sites) across the province where you can take your used oil materials so they can be recycled in an effective, secure and environmentally safe manner.

No such thing here in the Yukon :(

will this work for you?

https://yukon.ca/en/waste-and-recycl...azardous-waste

Yukoner 04-17-2019 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreric (Post 12974661)

In theory yes, but the territorial run transfer stations don't exist in the city (municipality) I live in. So it would be quite a long drive to haul it out there. Meaning it would only make sense if I stored a few oil changes worth before driving it out there. Which is a huge liability if it ever spilled (environmental remediation easily bankrupts most middle class families).

stonex1 04-17-2019 06:59 PM

British Columbia, Canada has pretty good oil recycling stations.
I can go to my transfer station to drop off paper products, grass clippings, old batteries, old propane tanks etc. ....
and dump my used oil. They also have bins for oil filters and used coolant products.

I'm happy I have a truck to do all this stuff.
(not sure I would be confident putting a full bucket of oil in the back of my X1) :angel:

What's funny about this thread is that there is no recycling for old air filters. They go to the land fill. :)