Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   audio aux or ipod? (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174631)

Q8-645 11-10-2006 11:41 AM

audio aux or ipod?

hi guys whats going on...
i have a slight delimma here... with my 04 645 i have the audio aux installed and i love it
is it worth takeing out the cd changer for the ipod interface? i use the aux port for my ipod. i have a 60 gig and its about full of music i heard some issues that it takes a while to load? i dont know please advice me :)
thank you

tom @ eas 11-10-2006 12:41 PM

Yes - if you already have the iPod, get the iPod integration kit. This will allow for control, charging and text display on your iDrive screen.

chuck92103 11-10-2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q8-645 (Post 2012876)
hi guys whats going on...
i have a slight delimma here... with my 04 645 i have the audio aux installed and i love it
is it worth takeing out the cd changer for the ipod interface? i use the aux port for my ipod. i have a 60 gig and its about full of music i heard some issues that it takes a while to load? i dont know please advice me :)
thank you

I got the AUX adapter first. It was ok, but I could not control the iPOD and drive safely. Especially a nano with a tiny screen. The main advantages of the MOST adapter are...

1. It turns the iPOD on/off with the ignition
2. It charges the iPOD
3. It uses the iPOD's pre-out so the sound is much better over the headphone jack.
4. Controlling via iDrive is great.

Issues:

1. The iDrive/iPOD interface is divided as follows
CD1 - Playlists
CD2 - Artist
CD3 - Album
CD4 - Genre
CD5 - Podcasts
CD6 - All songs

The system works fast on all but the CD2. Browse by Artist takes about 10-15 seconds to load, the others take about 1-2 seconds. Not sure why. :dunno:

2. Also, the is a limit for each CD1-6, I believe it is 250 folders with 500 songs in each. I have not hit the limit except on CD6 where I have more than 500 songs. Some get cut off.

Both of these issues are minor. The system works great and I highly recommend it.:thumbup:

gotwish 11-10-2006 03:27 PM

Do it!!!! The ipod interface for our 6 series, even with the couple of issues that have been mentioned before (and will probably be addressed with some type of update), is probably one of the best things you can get if you have any interest in music.

chuck92103 11-10-2006 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92103 (Post 2013057)
The system works fast on all but the CD2. Browse by Artist takes about 10-15 seconds to load, the others take about 1-2 seconds. Not sure why. :dunno:

I want to be clear about what I stated. the wait time once you go to CD2 is about 10-15 seconds, however, after that times elapses and every thing loads, it is just as fast as the other selections. It is only the initial load that is slow.

Q8-645 11-11-2006 06:03 AM

oh great thanks for the info :)
another thing is how do i know what software my car is running?is there a way to check?
and what software the ipod integration needs?
thanks

cobradav 11-11-2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q8-645 (Post 2013893)
oh great thanks for the info :)
another thing is how do i know what software my car is running?is there a way to check?
and what software the ipod integration needs?
thanks

Only your dealer can tell you what version. If you bought new, have the build date and know you never upgraded the software I can get you close or you can try to work it out using my post #21 in this ********https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168079
I will probably update it as well in a few days
Ipod Integration for MOST bus applications required at least PROGMAN (CIP) 20 which enables MP3 IF if was included in retrofit coding.

Couple of clues also:

If you have perspective view on NAV then you have CIP 16.1 or higher
If you have MP3 on your single CD slot in dash you have CIP 20.xx or higher and your ipod integration would be remove 6CDC and replace with ipod adapter and play without dealer intervention.

One caution note - PROGMAN 23.02 (sometimes shortened by BMW to 23.2) has a flaw that causes ipods not to work and maybe some other issues. tparson reported that US dealers would be getting a online fix over the weekend so if you are going to need new software I would wait until we hear this is cleared up.

Q8-645 11-11-2006 09:08 AM

oh great thanks but i upgraded my spftware like 4 times
for the part numbers that i would need are they the same numbers you posted a while back? i live in kuwait (middle east) because i gave it to my parts manager and he said that it didnt exist....and he had like other numbers for the kit

so is it worth it to take the gamble and try to install the ipod kit on my own? because my car is not under waranty anymore (kuwait waranty is 2 years only) bummer

Gran Turismo 11-11-2006 09:40 AM

My part number was also different than the US part #. So just for your reference, in the case the Middle East and Europe would use the same ones:
MOST interface kit WITH harness (for cars without CD changer) = 65 41 0 412 881

Q8-645 11-11-2006 11:36 AM

thank you :)

i just tried a cd done with itunes mp3 burning twice one fast and the other slow and it didnt load in my cd or dvd slot in the dash so i guess i need a software upgrade :(

chuck92103 11-11-2006 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Q8-645 (Post 2014278)
thank you :)

i just tried a cd done with itunes mp3 burning twice one fast and the other slow and it didnt load in my cd or dvd slot in the dash so i guess i need a software upgrade :(

A simple software upgrade is not enough.

1. You need CIP 20.x or later. CIP 23. x is the lastest but there is a bug so a patch is do out soon.
2. You also need to have the dealer do the MP3 retrofit. MP3 wil not be enabled by default.

I have attached the service bulletin. Not sure if it applies to Kuwait dealers.

Q8-645 11-11-2006 10:08 PM

thank you guys very much to the help today ill go to my dealer and order the part and ask about software upgrade :)

Q8-645 11-11-2006 10:25 PM

i just called the dealer and he said he has 23.2 software and nothing else and he said the next update will be in 2 months

Gran Turismo 11-12-2006 02:23 AM

Careful with that software version! An incompatibility with the MOST interface came up a week ago but a hotfix has apparently just been developed.
See details here. Show or send them that pdf and insist they make sure to get you a working version.

Q8-645 11-12-2006 04:27 AM

oh well i have no choice but to get 23.2 as the manager said thats the only version they have... the one on the car now is maybe 16 not newer so ipod wont work on it at all
say finger crossed i hope the one they have is the updated version
i just came back from the dealer and orderd the interface# 65410415655 and plate thou i`m not sure if its the right one as they were cluless #51167114 (fuse cover)
they told me it should 2 weeks to get the part :)
thank you for the help

fitch 11-12-2006 12:50 PM

I've been using my iPod with the MOST integration for about a week now and love it. I was using the AUX input with my iPod plugged into its cradle so that I could use the little infrared remote rather than futzing about with the iPod controls while driving. I set all of this up in the vestigeal cup holder on teh front passenger side.

The integrated setup is obviously superior. The only issue I have is that (I have over 25 gigs of music onmy iPod) when I want to scroll down to an artist manually, it takes way too long using the iDrive controller. So I typically have to use a combination of playlists, genres or track name to get to a song by an artist further down in the alphabet. Perhaps there's a better way of doing this but I haven't figured it out yet.

Gran Turismo 11-12-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitch (Post 2015626)
The only issue I have is that (I have over 25 gigs of music onmy iPod) when I want to scroll down to an artist manually, it takes way too long using the iDrive controller.

Agreed. Some inserted menu frame with the available artist's initial letters - as implemented in the navigation system's address book - would be a nice addon with later software releases.

650iOzBoy 11-12-2006 02:03 PM

I have an embarrassing comment to make. Unlike many of you Fellow Knights, I do not own an iPod thing. Never even thought about buying one. I see a lot of folks around here use one though (including some lunatics as pedestrains who seem to be unaware of traffic approaching them on roads).

So, everyone here seems to have one. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the iPod? I hate carrying little electronics around with me all the time. My mobile phone alone is enough. :dunno: I have over 500 music CD's and that's what I've been listening to in my car with Logic7.

OK, go on then, make fun of me. Some twerp from Down Under who doesn't even own an iPod.

chuck92103 11-12-2006 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 650iOzBoy (Post 2015754)
I have an embarrassing comment to make. Unlike many of you Fellow Knights, I do not own an iPod thing. Never even thought about buying one. I see a lot of folks around here use one though (including some lunatics as pedestrains who seem to be unaware of traffic approaching them on roads).

So, everyone here seems to have one. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the iPod? I hate carrying little electronics around with me all the time. My mobile phone alone is enough. :dunno: I have over 500 music CD's and that's what I've been listening to in my car with Logic7.

OK, go on then, make fun of me. Some twerp from Down Under who doesn't even own an iPod.

Get the iPOD adapter and an 8GB nano. Than convert all the CD's to MP3's, put on the iPOD and never swap/burn CD's again. :thumbup: 8Gb is about 2,000 songs. I got an iPOD just for the car. Never leaves the glovebox unless I need to re-sync more music.

Gran Turismo 11-12-2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

I hate carrying little electronics around with me all the time. My mobile phone alone is enough. :dunno:

Do you carry the CD changer around too? ;) There's really no need to do so - just leave the iPod in the damn glovebox and only take it out for uploading new songs!

Quote:

I have over 500 music CD's and that's what I've been listening to in my car with Logic7.

I doubt you have the 500 CD changer in your car, as that version and the Gin&Tonic dispenser are mutually exclusive as they both fit into the same space in the trunk. :D But you can pack all those CD's on a large capacity iPod, still can listen to those CD's at home without having to run down to the car and also never have to assort that 6 CD magazine again.

Just imagine the iPod as a hard drive for music integrated with iDrive and the car audio system.

Mikker 11-12-2006 04:21 PM

After reading all these comments, I think I am sold and I want a MOST adapter for my 06 650i. Can anyone tell me:
1. where do I get it
2. how much should it cost
3. Can I really install it myself?
Thanks

chuck92103 11-12-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikker (Post 2015953)
After reading all these comments, I think I am sold and I want a MOST adapter for my 06 650i. Can anyone tell me:
1. where do I get it
2. how much should it cost
3. Can I really install it myself?
Thanks

1. dealer or europeanautosource.com (board sponsor)

2. Units costs $299, maybe less with a CCA card at the dealer

3. if you have a Cd changer now, you can install yourself. A simple 5 minute process. If you do not have a CD changer, you have to go to the dealer for programming. Parts and labor will be around $400-$1,000,000.00 depending on the dealer.

Also, you will need a cover if you are removing the CD changer which is about $8.

Search for iPOD on the 6 series forum, all the info is there.

jaro 11-12-2006 08:08 PM

guys, quick one...how do I find out what version software I got?

jaro 11-12-2006 08:25 PM

great price on the ipod integration kit...I bought from these guys in the past....great shop http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/acc/65110403650.htm

cobradav 11-12-2006 08:25 PM

On either of your BMWs its to the dealer you go. Or guess from your production date if you have not upgraded using post #21 (I think) from the Ask Cobradav sticky. I do not have the e90 posted but they are pretty close to the e60/63 in CIP# and date. They just started at alot high number since their SOP is more recent.