Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   2010 X3 ordering guide (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385904)

kjboyd 07-24-2009 08:39 PM

2010 X3 ordering guide

1 Attachment(s)
hey all. .. here is the 2010 ordering guide... check out the CHANGE IN standard features.

the SUNROOF is now part of the premium package.
HD radio is standard.

Zoltar 07-25-2009 06:34 AM

Thanks for posting KJ.

Some interesting points:

- automatic is shown as an option which implies the MT will still be available.:thumbup:
- I wonder what automatic will be used from what manufacturer, early reports have mentioned 7-speed.
- I like the sunroof delete option, they just cause trouble IMHO.
- No mention of engine types. The main concern I have about the next-gen X3 is if they use the N54 TT as it is still plagued by fuel pump failures 3 years and 3 redesigns later.
- What's the CO2 stuff?

kjboyd 07-25-2009 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoltar (Post 4376626)
Thanks for posting KJ.

Some interesting points:

- automatic is shown as an option which implies the MT will still be available.:thumbup:
- I wonder what automatic will be used from what manufacturer, early reports have mentioned 7-speed.
- I like the sunroof delete option, they just cause trouble IMHO.
- No mention of engine types. The main concern I have about the next-gen X3 is if they use the N54 TT as it is still plagued by fuel pump failures 3 years and 3 redesigns later.
- What's the CO2 stuff?

this is STILL the current generation E83. it's the current N52 3.0L

X3 X3 xDrive30i E83 1065 PC93 N52/3.0 09/09

Zoltar 07-26-2009 05:05 AM

That sure is surprising Kevin.
The word is that production has now ended in Graz and they are shifting to the X1.
Recent reports have also said that Spartanburg is being accelerated to begin production of next-gen this fall for sale next spring due to competition.:dunno:

The Other Tom 07-26-2009 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoltar (Post 4378794)
The word is that production has now ended in Graz and they are shifting to the X1.
Recent reports have also said that Spartanburg is being accelerated to begin production of next-gen this fall for sale next spring due to competition.:dunno:

Exactly
MY10 will be a short run for the X3

kjboyd 07-26-2009 06:51 AM

that all may be true, but the guide states it's an E83 with the N52, start of production September.

here is another interesting tidbit from motoringfile.com

In 2001 when MINI was relaunched by BMW there were plans for a number of different vehicles. The hatch, the convertible, the clubman and even the yet to be released speedster where on the drawing board with eventual plans for production. However the one variation not on anyone's mind was a crossover. And here we are, just weeks away from the MINI crossover making its debut.

What created this shift in thinking? The answer isn't as simple as you might think. Yes BMW wants the crossover to reach new MINI buyers and an entirely new demographic. Yet some of the larger reasons for the crossover is a story of corporate agreements and solving production scale issues rather than solving a consumer problem.

In 2006 BMW decided to move production of its underwhelming X3 crossover from a 3rd party (Magna Steyr) in Austria to it's own plant in South Carolina USA. The thought was that it made sense for all crossover (SAV in BMW speak) production to be in a more cost efficient country that was also the main market for such vehicles. However there was an issue with this plan, BMW's contract with Magna Steyr promised two generations of X3 production to be built at the Austrian plant. Somehow BMW had to either move production of a product or create something entirely new to fulfill the contract..

In parallel to these developments was the creation of the BMW X1. Around the time that the BMW 1 Series was launched BMW had decided that the X3 and X5 had to grow in size to better accommodate the US market by far the largest for the vehicles in the world. However in doing so BMW was concerned that it would be forsaking the European market where smaller more fuel efficient crossovers were in greater demand. So a plan was devised to create a crossover based on the 1 Series that would essentially take the place of the X3 on a slightly smaller scale in both size and price.

As this decision was finalized BMW realized they finally had a solution that would allow them to move X3 production to the US while creating bigger economies of scale for the X1. The idea was simple, build a MINI SAV loosely based on the upcoming X1 in Austria in place of the X3 that would slot under the X1 in terms of price and size.

Evlengr 07-26-2009 07:04 AM

Oh geez when will they ever give up on HD.

As an engineer in radio for over 20 years we gave up on it 5 years ago.

The technology is flawed and the content is poor.

By the time they finally get it right it will be too late.

We have a saying in my family: "Right idea --Wrong approach".

AzNMpower32 07-26-2009 07:17 AM

Last year to get an X3 that isn't oversized or as complicated as a laptop!

kjboyd 07-26-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 4378941)

Agreed! The best ended with the e46/e39.

Evlengr 07-26-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Yup --get a stick :)

iamthewalrus 07-26-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Due to competition or to the fact that they couldn't get the automatic transmission issues figured out? Either way, for auto drivers, it can't come quickly enough.

-J

thebmw 07-26-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Roundel said production for the next gen X3 will start at the end of 2009. It's being moved up a year "due to competiion". Considering the current X3 is riding on a platform and design from the 90's, I'd say there is considerable competition...esp from the new Q5. Hope the next gen X3 is good. They really have their work cut out for them. I am surprised that it hasn't been unveiled yet. Maybe in September.

rs6655 07-26-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Yep. I'm glad I got mine.:thumbup:

onodon 07-27-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus (Post 4380404)
Due to competition or to the fact that they couldn't get the automatic transmission issues figured out? Either way, for auto drivers, it can't come quickly enough.

-J

My automatic rocks and I plan on keeping the vehicle.

Saberwalk 07-28-2009 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onodon (Post 4383125)

Yup 2008 X3 auto with close to 15,000 and not one lurch. Really dodged a bullet there, but MT in DC traffic really not an option for me. Would love to go to the dual turbo six, but not in the first year of the next gen.

Evlengr 07-28-2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saberwalk (Post 4384115)
Yup 2008 X3 auto with close to 15,000 and not one lurch. Really dodged a bullet there, but MT in DC traffic really not an option for me. Would love to go to the dual turbo six, but not in the first year of the next gen.

Really? I worked in Rockville and Bethesda and the MT is not an impediment. Have you driven one? I forget its a stick until I need that extra oomph like this morning on 95 when getting around the slow movers in the passing lane.

Well glad you got a good one just the same.

HT417 07-28-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onodon (Post 4383125)

+1 I drive it a lot in manual but when the road's flat and I'm feeling lazy I still have a very competent "A" option. :thumbup:

jdeday 07-29-2009 05:46 PM

Anyone notice 7M5 M exterior parts in body color???

minicrazy592 08-02-2009 07:44 PM

Wait, if I just read it right, WE HAVE THE RETURN OF ALUMINUM TRIM IN THE US?!

AzNMpower32 08-02-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrazy592 (Post 4399581)
Wait, if I just read it right, WE HAVE THE RETURN OF ALUMINUM TRIM IN THE US?!

I think it's been a P1 option throughout the years after 2007.

Read my words: The X3 interior makes sense with aluminium, not wood trim.

rosskey711 08-02-2009 08:03 PM

yeah i think aluminum is the best trim...

minicrazy592 08-02-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznmpower32 (Post 4399612)
read my words: The x3 interior makes sense with aluminium, not wood trim.

+1 million!

kjboyd 08-02-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 4399612)
I think it's been a P1 option throughout the years after 2007.

Read my words: The X3 interior makes sense with aluminium, not wood trim.

I completely disagree... I see aluminum and think, oh, base model, or stripper, or yuk.

just differences of opinion is all.

BeyondESP 08-20-2009 04:06 PM

Just came across this forum.... and now it's making me nervous......

I just put down a an initial holding payment (forgot what the term the dealer used was). Basically said that my new 2010 x3 will be in production in early september and delivered by October....

but i've seen all this negative news about the x3...... is it really that bad? i test drove it and it felt great... (then again my current car is a 01 civic).

i'm confused.. i just started looking at some websites and they said there was going to be a new more powerful engine... but the dealer only said the big difference was that i was being forced to get the HD radio (was getting the premium package anyway).... (for an extra $400).

I was trying to get an 09... but couldn't find one with all the options i wanted.

I already got a production number but it's still not recognized on the bmwusa.com site.

minicrazy592 08-20-2009 04:32 PM

Same here with my 2010 335i, its just going to take a while for the computer to be updated.