Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - 2015) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   BMW Combox retrofit webpage available (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934316)

Der_Kommissar 10-07-2016 08:42 PM

BMW Combox retrofit webpage available

Saw this over on Bimmerpost in the F30 section and thought some of you might not see it over there. Use the link below to register to retrofit your combox to one that will allow you to use tele services after 2016 (if you are eligible).

As many of you may be aware, BMW Assist is being deactivated at the end of this year for vehicles typically 2013 and older. I believe US-based vehicles only. Reason being the combox in these vehicles is 2G technology and it will no longer be supported by BMW and their cellular provider.

To mitigate this, if you have a vehicle that is affected by discontinuation but have a BMW Assist plan that runs past the end of this year, BMW provides three options:

-A retrofit to upgrade the cellular technology in the vehicle.
-A $300 voucher for BMW Accessories + deactivation of Assist technology.
-A $200 prepaid cash card + deactivation of Assist technology.

If you are eligible for this mitigation, you can put in your vin at this rebate website from BMW for the next steps:

https://bmwassistoffer.com/sunset/vin.htm

If there are complications with your eligibility, I urge you to contact BMW NA Customer Relations and make your case for disappointment before taking an L.

MajorTranq 10-08-2016 04:34 PM

Thanks. I'll take the money.

spydrz 10-10-2016 07:47 AM

Interesting.

richsantana174 10-10-2016 03:03 PM

I have a base model 2015 X1 with no navi system. Basic radio. Does this apply? How can I check to see if I have 2G antenna? Thanks.

vstolpner 10-10-2016 07:25 PM

Anyone know if this affects Canada as well?

shtaka 10-11-2016 03:24 AM

I decided to have ours updated since it's my wife's car and it's just an extra level of security if she has a problem.
Does anyone know how long the retrofit takes?
Does anyone actually use any of the services?

woodman411 10-11-2016 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar (Post 9870345)
Saw this over on Bimmerpost in the F30 section and thought some of you might not see it over there. Use the link below to register to retrofit your combox to one that will allow you to use tele services after 2016 (if you are eligible).

As many of you may be aware, BMW Assist is being deactivated at the end of this year for vehicles typically 2013 and older. I believe US-based vehicles only. Reason being the combox in these vehicles is 2G technology and it will no longer be supported by BMW and their cellular provider.

To mitigate this, if you have a vehicle that is affected by discontinuation but have a BMW Assist plan that runs past the end of this year, BMW provides three options:

-A retrofit to upgrade the cellular technology in the vehicle.
-A $300 voucher for BMW Accessories + deactivation of Assist technology.
-A $200 prepaid cash card + deactivation of Assist technology.

If you are eligible for this mitigation, you can put in your vin at this rebate website from BMW for the next steps:

https://bmwassistoffer.com/sunset/vin.htm

If there are complications with your eligibility, I urge you to contact BMW NA Customer Relations and make your case for disappointment before taking an L.

Thanks for the notice, I applied for the $200 visa + deactivation.

Loki_Toe 10-11-2016 12:38 PM

"I have a base model 2015 X1 with no navi system. Basic radio. Does this apply? How can I check to see if I have 2G antenna? Thanks."

Why would it apply to you if you have ZERO connected services installed in your car?

Bucketfoot 10-11-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodman411 (Post 9874409)
Thanks for the notice, I applied for the $200 visa + deactivation.

Do you know if they deactivate it right away or wait until the end of the year?

woodman411 10-12-2016 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucketfoot (Post 9874844)

Sorry don't know, I submitted mine yesterday, I still haven't received any confirmation email or any other notice that gives more details.

MajorTranq 10-12-2016 07:40 AM

BMW Combox retrofit webpage available

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucketfoot (Post 9874844)

Got my confirmation email this morning stating the car must be taken to the dealer for service deactivation. Strange, but whatever.

Coincidentally, had an appt. this morning to have the check engine light examined. With combox email in hand, service advisor still couldn't help. He needed to read his 100 page bulletin first.

spydrz 10-12-2016 11:06 AM

I got an appointment to have it replaced. Hopefully they'll have the part in stock.

richsantana174 10-12-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loki_Toe (Post 9874454)
"I have a base model 2015 X1 with no navi system. Basic radio. Does this apply? How can I check to see if I have 2G antenna? Thanks."

Why would it apply to you if you have ZERO connected services installed in your car?

I thought the same. Since I have an SOS button wasn't sure if it did so I put my VIN and sure enough an offer popped up. So just cancelled. I think it might apply because of the driver assist.

Der_Kommissar 10-12-2016 04:57 PM

BMW assist uses the cell for tele-metrics and for voice. It will also stop working without the new combox.

richsantana174 10-12-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar (Post 9876146)
BMW assist uses the cell for tele-metrics and for voice. It will also stop working without the new combox.

Thanks

Bucketfoot 10-13-2016 05:01 PM

Other than sending to the car from Google Maps and using the ventilation feature, I don't think I've used any other features.

So besides the whole SOS/Roadside Assistance thing, what am I really missing if I take the money and have them kill it?

Just wondering if there is some wonderful feature that I've not been using :)

MajorTranq 10-14-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucketfoot (Post 9877590)
Other than sending to the car from Google Maps and using the ventilation feature, I don't think I've used any other features.

So besides the whole SOS/Roadside Assistance thing, what am I really missing if I take the money and have them kill it?

Just wondering if there is some wonderful feature that I've not been using :)

Don't forget real-time traffic, which never failed to guide me into a traffic jam.

Bucketfoot 10-15-2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorTranq (Post 9879210)
Don't forget real-time traffic, which never failed to guide me into a traffic jam.

:thumbup:

It's looking more and more like I'm just going to take the money and run.

Der_Kommissar 10-15-2016 12:40 PM

For the cic idrive, traffic comes from hd radio, which is why is is so limited. But, at least it won't go away if you don't get the retrofit.

xl3vax 11-01-2016 02:52 PM

additional services

I have a F32 2014 without the navi.
If I retrofit the combox with tele services, will I get any additional feature like the bluetooth music or similars?
thanks community!

shtaka 11-02-2016 02:10 AM

I had the update done yesterday. Took about 4 hours. According to the SA about an hour to install hardware and another 3 hours to program. Had to re-pair phones afterward.
Unfortunately, I get an error saying service not available when I try to use BMW Online. Don't know which end the error is at, my car or the BMW Assist service itself. Will play with it further today.

xl3vax 11-02-2016 06:27 AM

interesting.. did you have the "sport displays" before the update? do you have them now?
What I am trying to figure out is how the graphic interface of the menu would change.
I have the very first interface, with no animation, no navi, no sport displays, and I am interested to understand if the retrofit will upgrade my graphic interface of the manus.

Aerospike 11-02-2016 07:20 AM

Sport displays????

Der_Kommissar 11-02-2016 07:55 AM

It will not update the iDrive interface. It will increase the speed at which iDrive can acquire data from the internet. The BMW online functions of my X1 are now faster and more enjoyable to use, but I can't do more than I could do before the update.

xl3vax 11-02-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerospike (Post 9916710)
Sport displays????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2jCEADZK-w