Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   '97 Keyless entry issue and rear fog light? (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974543)

drhall 04-17-2017 02:03 PM

'97 Keyless entry issue and rear fog light?

I just bought a '97 1.9 Euro Z3 and loving' it.
Two questions:
1. Our local BMW parts dept promised me a keyless entry key. I paid, it was ordered and when I picked it up today it was a 'universal key'. The parts guy said he thought it was a transponder key as it had a depressible button… I showed him the light but he'd 'never seen one of those before'. Needless to say I wasn't getting my money back. (BTW it was key number 7 — does that mean anything important?) He continued that my car didn't/couldn't have a transponder key as it wasn't set up for it and even if it could have one, they couldn't get one even if it did show one on their parts catalogue.
Long story short; I don't have a keyless entry — I am disappointed. I am considering writing to BMW Germany to see if I could get one direct (or indirect through the dealer). Can anyone help with this? Also, eBay sells keyless entry keys but I couldn't get one cut anyway.
2. I have two buttons on the dash to the left of the steering column. One is for the fog lights — it works fine. The other is for red lights at the rear. In what circumstances are they useful? There is also a dial on the right side of the column with the numbers 0 – 2. I have no idea what this is for.
Suggestions? Solutions? Sympathy, anyone?

JonM 04-18-2017 10:51 AM

Are you in the US? How did you get a Euro Z3 here?

The 97 model year did not have factory keyless entry. It only had an accessory Alpine alarm/keyless kit. Does your car have this? You may have to remove the glove box and look for the alarm unit. That unit uses an external alarm fob. There are no buttons on the key. The 01 and 02 Z3s (I think) did have keys with buttons, but yours does not. I don't know what key they sold you or why they did it.

Rear fogs are great. When it is foggy, turn it on and drivers behind you will see you in the fog much easier.

vintage42 04-18-2017 11:11 AM

vintage42 04-18-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhall (Post 10120234)
I just bought a '97 1.9 Euro Z3...
1. Our local BMW parts dept promised me a keyless entry key. I paid, it was ordered and when I picked it up today it was a 'universal key'. The parts guy said he thought it was a transponder key as it had a depressible button…. I showed him the light but he'd 'never seen one of those before'. Needless to say I wasn't getting my money back. (BTW it was key number 7 - does that mean anything important?) He continued that my car didn't/couldn't have a transponder key as it wasn't set up for it and even if it could have one, they couldn't get one even if it did show one on their parts catalogue...
2. I have two buttons on the dash to the left of the steering column. One is for the fog lights - it works fine. The other is for red lights at the rear. In what circumstances are they useful? There is also a dial on the right side of the column with the numbers 0 – 2. I have no idea what this is for....

Your location googles as Nova Scotia just west of Halifax.
My dealer ordered me a second key when I got the car four years ago - press the key and a tiny LED shines to illuminate the key hole. I don't think our early Z3 could have keyless entry, and adding aftermarket at this time could be expensive -- and troublesome do to age, wear and previous mayhem.
I don't have anything on the right side, column or dash, with numbers 0-2.
If you need an Owners Manual, send me a PM with your email.

ZZZING 04-18-2017 03:18 PM

Key #7

there are a total of 10 keys for each car, BMW stashes them somewhere in Europe I think. Once all ten keys are gone, a new ignition/transponder setup is required.

JonM 04-19-2017 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZZING (Post 10121786)
there are a total of 10 keys for each car, BMW stashes them somewhere in Europe I think. Once all ten keys are gone, a new ignition/transponder setup is required.

There is no stash of pre-made keys. The keys are made when you order them.

You are right about the 10 keys, then you need a new EWS transponder.