Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E89 Z4 (2009 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Spark plugs. (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1182481)

Mikey48 12-13-2017 03:05 AM

Spark plugs.

I had to install a new set of spark plugs in my Z4 35is last night. I just turned 39,000 miles and on my way home from work on Tuesday my car developed a misfire. The service engine light came on also. I got home and used my hand held scanner to pull the codes . The scanner told me I had a misfire on cylinder 1. I knew then it was a bad plug. I went to my BMW Dealership parts dept. and bought a new set of plugs for $96.00 buck's ! They wanted a $120.00 but, I told them that was to much and was going to look on ebay for a better price. That is when the lower price was offered. When I pulled the plugs they looked bad. They were all black and looked dirty. You could tell it needed new plugs. Got in my Z this morning and she is running like new again ! Thank goodness ! I checked my owners manual and it says plugs will need to be replaced at 45,000 miles. Sooner if you do a lot of city driving. I do a lot of city driving. Anyway just wanted to share this with Y'all . If you notice your Z is running a little sluggish it may need a fresh set of spark plugs. Merry Christmas everybody !

12thBMW 12-15-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey48 (Post 11758417)
I had to install a new set of spark plugs in my Z4 35is last night. I just turned 39,000 miles and on my way home from work on Tuesday my car developed a misfire. The service engine light came on also. I got home and used my hand held scanner to pull the codes . The scanner told me I had a misfire on cylinder 1. I knew then it was a bad plug. I went to my BMW Dealership parts dept. and bought a new set of plugs for $96.00 buck's ! They wanted a $120.00 but, I told them that was to much and was going to look on ebay for a better price. That is when the lower price was offered. When I pulled the plugs they looked bad. They were all black and looked dirty. You could tell it needed new plugs. Got in my Z this morning and she is running like new again ! Thank goodness ! I checked my owners manual and it says plugs will need to be replaced at 45,000 miles. Sooner if you do a lot of city driving. I do a lot of city driving. Anyway just wanted to share this with Y'all . If you notice your Z is running a little sluggish it may need a fresh set of spark plugs. Merry Christmas everybody !

Interesting...:thumbup:

Maybe you should consider changing your ID to "The Negotiator", eh? ;)

Mikey48 12-18-2017 02:43 AM

I thought about that ! Lol !

Rtuner 03-03-2018 12:45 AM

Thank you for posting the heads up! My wife’s 2014 Z4 is currently at 40k freeway mileage. I just recently replaced engine oil, its filter, cabin filters, and flushed the coolant. Gotta look into replacing the spark plugs soon if she is going to experience any sluggish or misfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest