Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Is it helpful to cover grill on cold days -30C or -22F? (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1316141)

Dash Riprock 02-05-2019 08:05 AM

Is it helpful to cover grill on cold days -30C or -22F?

I imagine not many of you have experience with weather like this, however tempuratures have dipped a bit where I live, wondering if anyone covers their front grill for those days when it gets excessivley cold? I am heading out on a 3 hour drive in -25 to -33C weather, I have fitted a couple of pieces of cardboard that blocks 95% of the front grill. Is technology that good that blocking front grill is unnecessary?

edycol 02-05-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash Riprock (Post 12899501)
I imagine not many of you have experience with weather like this, however tempuratures have dipped a bit where I live, wondering if anyone covers their front grill for those days when it gets excessivley cold? I am heading out on a 3 hour drive in -25 to -33C weather, I have fitted a couple of pieces of cardboard that blocks 95% of the front grill. Is technology that good that blocking front grill is unnecessary?

If your thermostat is OK, no it does not help, actually it might prevent proper cooling.
All car companies test their vehicles in much colder temperatures and if everything is OK, it will not be a problem.

Gary214 02-05-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash Riprock (Post 12899501)

What is the benefit of blocking ? Never heard of such a thing

Dash Riprock 02-05-2019 09:05 AM

I am far from a mechanic, but the benefit would be to reduce the amount of cold air entering the engine, allowing engine to heat up sooner and maintain a proper engine temperature. I can say we always did with with my dad's 1988 6.2L diesel, with my 1997 Toyota Celica my 2006 Honda Odyssey. I haven't had enough experience with the BMW X5 35D to know how it responds in frigid temperatures, no temp gauge so I haven't always paid attention to temp (i.e. access hidden menu to watch temps). If you haven't experienced -30C before you would have no idea how cold it is.

Gary214 02-05-2019 09:11 AM

We have experienced -4 F or -20 C in Central PA a few days back :)

Engine needs fresh air and if you block it, the combustion will suffer and it will misfire :)

blue dragon 02-05-2019 09:17 AM

It gets just as cold in Ontario. X5 has seen -35C regularly with no issues. Make sure you have a good battery and thermostat (not stuck open), and you are good to go.

edycol 02-05-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dash Riprock (Post 12899553)
I am far from a mechanic, but the benefit would be to reduce the amount of cold air entering the engine, allowing engine to heat up sooner and maintain a proper engine temperature. I can say we always did with with my dad's 1988 6.2L diesel, with my 1997 Toyota Celica my 2006 Honda Odyssey. I haven't had enough experience with the BMW X5 35D to know how it responds in frigid temperatures, no temp gauge so I haven't always paid attention to temp (i.e. access hidden menu to watch temps). If you haven't experienced -30C before you would have no idea how cold it is.

Drove X5 35d on -37 here in CO and WY, no issues maintaining temperature, starting it etc.
I actually skied once on -42, started my car (Opel Vectra) with 15W40 oil etc. No issue in maintaining temperature. So, I am aware of extremely cold temperatures. European cars are really good in cold weather (I have now Toyota and that thing needed 15 minutes to start heating inside. Had to put block heater to mitigate that).
M57 engine reaches operating coolant temperature fairly fast for average internal combustion engine, and really fast for diesel. However, be aware that thermostat is an issue on these engines, so check coolant temperature in hidden menu or even better, if you have Carly.

cluesblues 02-05-2019 02:09 PM

I'm in Calgary too, X5d runs just fine without blocking the grille. Just make sure your t-stat is in good working order.

Doug Huffman 02-05-2019 03:07 PM

I have a piece of heavy matting that I cut to fit tightly in front of the radiator. I used it for my first two winters with the X5d but not since.

FredoinSF 02-05-2019 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dad had a first gen 85 dodge caravan with the Mitsubishi 2.6L motor where fuel would freeze before it hit the carb on cold days. Park on the side of the freeway for a few and it would restart. Before we could figure the pattern I would have to go rescue him with my 83 Fuego, and if I had been a good boy Momís 85 Park Ave. Cardboard didnít really help, but we tried it.
All those cars were new back then. Havenít had a car hate cold weather like that minivan since. That was in Michigan. The X5d doesnít balk at Sierra snow cold. Sierra snow cold is nothing like the Midwest cold over the past week, but the X5 just goes.

Two days ago at Donner Lake:
Attachment 839027

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app