Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Display screen total failure on 328i 2014 (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326085)

new2bmw2014 04-11-2019 01:17 PM

Display screen total failure on 328i 2014
 
Hi everyone. I have heard there is a global CID failure that cost a fortune to fix. :cry: Mine has been acting up since the day I bought BMW 328i 2014. Occasionally the screen would go black and display only BMW logo but in a few hours it would fix itself. The dealer looked at it twice and couldn't find the issue or that was what they had said to me b/c the car was on warranty but they were able to restart the screen and it would work for awhile. Now it's broken again and the car is not on warranty anymore. I took it to a private BMW repair shop. They tried to reboot it several different ways but the screen would not come up. They did detect CID prob that would cost me $3,300 to fix. Does anyone else have this problem and have any suggestions? They told me I could take it to the dealer but it wouldn't make any difference. Thank you.

God-Follower 04-11-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2bmw2014 (Post 12968769)
Hi everyone. I have heard there is a global CID failure that cost a fortune to fix. :cry: Mine has been acting up since the day I bought BMW 328i 2014. Occasionally the screen would go black and display only BMW logo but in a few hours it would fix itself. The dealer looked at it twice and couldn't find the issue or that was what they had said to me b/c the car was on warranty but they were able to restart the screen and it would work for awhile. Now it's broken again and the car is not on warranty anymore. I took it to a private BMW repair shop. They tried to reboot it several different ways but the screen would not come up. They did detect CID prob that would cost me $3,300 to fix. Does anyone else have this problem and have any suggestions? They told me I could take it to the dealer but it wouldn't make any difference. Thank you.

I am confused, are you talking about a 328I, or an I3? You mention both of them in your post.

new2bmw2014 04-11-2019 01:26 PM

I am sorry I meant 328i year 2014

God-Follower 04-11-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2bmw2014 (Post 12968781)
I am sorry I meant 328i year 2014

Gotcha. Moved the thread to the F30 subforum :)

Good luck!

John MS 04-11-2019 02:30 PM

My 2014 328i had the same symptoms when the car was one month old. The fix was loading a software update and it has not crashed since. I haven't heard of a global CJD failure. I would suggest that you find a different dealer.

new2bmw2014 04-11-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John MS (Post 12968885)
My 2014 328i had the same symptoms when the car was one month old. The fix was loading a software update and it has not crashed since. I haven't heard of a global CJD failure. I would suggest that you find a different dealer.

I think they updated it the 1st or the 2nd time i brought it and it didn't solve the issue completely. This time the shop called BMW support and ask for update but they said there was none. So you were just lucky apparently.

new2bmw2014 04-11-2019 03:13 PM

I wonder if there is a part that needs to be replaced like a module that cost way less than the whole CID. The BMW support said that this CID has high failure rate. So if i buy a new CID for $2,000 I have a high chance of running into the same problem. Can I install a used CID or is there something else I can try to bring the screen back on? I hate to drive my car without radio for another several years.

Jerome718 04-12-2019 08:32 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Hey this happened to my 2014 328i recently as well. I replaced the head unit myself with the android 10.25" touchscreen and now it doesn't go black because I'm using the android operating system "technically" to play my music but now every 3 minutes exactly, my sound stops for about 10 seconds. Now this radio is suppose to also show the screen of the original interface (if that's the right terminology) but mine is still stuck in the BMW Logo so I cannot actually access the idrive if that's what it's called. I'll show pics how I can use the android part of the radio I installed and how i can't access the original interface of the BMW because it shows the BMW logo and reboots just like the old head unit I replaced and now I can't even set my clock or anything, so for a fact I know the head unit isn't or wasn't bad. I'm thinking it's this part # (65-12-9-270-373) but idk yet it's expensive. I'll try it out though but I'll show pics. The first 5 pics are just the android side of the radio and how it looks so you all can see. The next photo that shows BMW is the state the "idrive" or "connected drive" is stuck in. Following that is a pic of some things I should be able to access but can't because it's stuck in BMW LOGO Mode and it reboots and blacks out on that screen. Not the whole unit but just the bmw reboots but on my old radio, the whole thing blacked out because there was no android operating system so it def has something to do with bmw side of things. The following photo is what I can only think would effect this because I read it in another post but I'm not sure, I was hoping to find a junk yard or a bmw that is being parted and save some money to test it out.

Jerome718 04-12-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John MS (Post 12968885)
My 2014 328i had the same symptoms when the car was one month old. The fix was loading a software update and it has not crashed since. I haven't heard of a global CJD failure. I would suggest that you find a different dealer.


What do you mean software update?

quackbury 04-12-2019 09:03 AM

OP do NOT go back to the indy. If you can document that you complained about this to the dealer while the car was under warranty, BMW should authorize a warranty repair of the problem. Your R/O should state something like "Customer states iDrive display turns off on its own. Unable to duplicate" or something to that extent.

new2bmw2014 04-12-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome718 (Post 12969591)
Hey this happened to my 2014 328i recently as well. I replaced the head unit myself with the android 10.25" touchscreen and now it doesn't go black because I'm using the android operating system "technically" to play my music but now every 3 minutes exactly, my sound stops for about 10 seconds. Now this radio is suppose to also show the screen of the original interface (if that's the right terminology) but mine is still stuck in the BMW Logo so I cannot actually access the idrive if that's what it's called. I'll show pics how I can use the android part of the radio I installed and how i can't access the original interface of the BMW because it shows the BMW logo and reboots just like the old head unit I replaced and now I can't even set my clock or anything, so for a fact I know the head unit isn't or wasn't bad. I'm thinking it's this part # (65-12-9-270-373) but idk yet it's expensive. I'll try it out though but I'll show pics. The first 5 pics are just the android side of the radio and how it looks so you all can see. The next photo that shows BMW is the state the "idrive" or "connected drive" is stuck in. Following that is a pic of some things I should be able to access but can't because it's stuck in BMW LOGO Mode and it reboots and blacks out on that screen. Not the whole unit but just the bmw reboots but on my old radio, the whole thing blacked out because there was no android operating system so it def has something to do with bmw side of things. The following photo is what I can only think would effect this because I read it in another post but I'm not sure, I was hoping to find a junk yard or a bmw that is being parted and save some money to test it out.


Hi. When you said the head unit, did you mean the CID (display)? and by replacing the head unit, how did you decide that it wasn't the issue after all? I've been told that I have to replace the CID which is very expensive. Btw, you can buy used CID on ebay for under $300 but again how do you know it's functional, right?

John MS 04-12-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome718 (Post 12969593)
What do you mean software update?

To a newer version.

new2bmw2014 04-12-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quackbury (Post 12969615)
OP do NOT go back to the indy. If you can document that you complained about this to the dealer while the car was under warranty, BMW should authorize a warranty repair of the problem. Your R/O should state something like "Customer states iDrive display turns off on its own. Unable to duplicate" or something to that extent.


That is what I thought originally to do. I do have 2 different statements that show my complaint regarding iDrive malfunction. Now, do I contact the dealer first about it before I call BMW company? I know they will argue and will try to make me pay for it.

Jerome718 04-12-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2bmw2014 (Post 12969741)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome718 (Post 12969591)
Hey this happened to my 2014 328i recently as well. I replaced the head unit myself with the android 10.25" touchscreen and now it doesn't go black because I'm using the android operating system "technically" to play my music but now every 3 minutes exactly, my sound stops for about 10 seconds. Now this radio is suppose to also show the screen of the original interface (if that's the right terminology) but mine is still stuck in the BMW Logo so I cannot actually access the idrive if that's what it's called. I'll show pics how I can use the android part of the radio I installed and how i can't access the original interface of the BMW because it shows the BMW logo and reboots just like the old head unit I replaced and now I can't even set my clock or anything, so for a fact I know the head unit isn't or wasn't bad. I'm thinking it's this part # (65-12-9-270-373) but idk yet it's expensive. I'll try it out though but I'll show pics. The first 5 pics are just the android side of the radio and how it looks so you all can see. The next photo that shows BMW is the state the "idrive" or "connected drive" is stuck in. Following that is a pic of some things I should be able to access but can't because it's stuck in BMW LOGO Mode and it reboots and blacks out on that screen. Not the whole unit but just the bmw reboots but on my old radio, the whole thing blacked out because there was no android operating system so it def has something to do with bmw side of things. The following photo is what I can only think would effect this because I read it in another post but I'm not sure, I was hoping to find a junk yard or a bmw that is being parted and save some money to test it out.


Hi. When you said the head unit, did you mean the CID (display)? and by replacing the head unit, how did you decide that it wasn't the issue after all? I've been told that I have to replace the CID which is very expensive. Btw, you can buy used CID on ebay for under $300 but again how do you know it's functional, right?


I mean the CID; the screen. I just got back to the dealer and they updated the whole cars "software", including the idrive system but it's the same deal. They upgraded it but it still does the same thing and stays on the "bmw" I just say for like an hour or two and paid $330 but still nothing last option is that Sirius Xm ntb thing I showed earlier

new2bmw2014 04-15-2019 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome718 (Post 12969841)
I mean the CID; the screen. I just got back to the dealer and they updated the whole cars "software", including the idrive system but it's the same deal. They upgraded it but it still does the same thing and stays on the "bmw" I just say for like an hour or two and paid $330 but still nothing last option is that Sirius Xm ntb thing I showed earlier

Sorry to hear that. I have to go through this again too next week. It prob will be a big argument at the dealer shop trying to make them fix the prob that they didn't take care of when my car was on warranty. I am not looking forward to it at all.

new2bmw2014 05-01-2019 06:38 AM

Update on the dead iDrive
 
Thank you to the forum and especially to QUACKBURY advice. I took my car back to the BMW dealer. Since I had a previous history of iDrive issue that wasn't resolved during the time when my care was on warranty, BMW dealer covered 95% of the cost. It cost me only a little over $100 total. I hope this iDrive will last longer. :)

Jerome718 06-01-2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2bmw2014 (Post 12987839)
Thank you to the forum and especially to QUACKBURY advice. I took my car back to the BMW dealer. Since I had a previous history of iDrive issue that wasn't resolved during the time when my care was on warranty, BMW dealer covered 95% of the cost. It cost me only a little over $100 total. I hope this iDrive will last longer.



What did they do?

Jerome718 06-07-2019 10:24 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED !!! I CHANGED THE RADIO PART NUMBER (65-12-9-270-373) bought the part at United bmw in Roswell Ga

Huskernation 09-22-2019 06:08 PM

update?
 
I have a 2014 535 GT and my idrive just went blank tonight. The satellite radio has been having issues as well and BT connection. Today, while I was driving the entire center screen/nav went blank. It rebooted and then continued to work.


I am not sure if I am headed toward a failure here and seeing what others have done? Do a firmware update (does this need to be by dealer? vs independent vs remote programers). Try rebooting the system (disconnect battery for an hour or something?).

seeing what others have done? I know i am in the wrong forum, but this was the best thread that came up in my search. thanks in advance


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.