Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Low-tech solution to prevent car theft (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339335)

bimmerbingo 07-21-2019 10:27 AM

Low-tech solution to prevent car theft
 
We live in the rural area in the Pacific Northwest and I'm paranoid that someone could just drive away with our cars while we're out on vacation. I thought about removing the negative terminal from the battery and/or some fuse that is critical to starting up the car. We have a security system (alarm + video surveillance), but you can never be too careful. Our neighbors are also not very close and police would probably take a very long time to get here in case the alarm gets triggered.

Does anyone else have other tips to make it really hard to start the cars? I know some creative thieves can just put them on a platform and take them away, but I doubt opportunity thieves are this prepared.

Doug Huffman 07-21-2019 10:33 AM

Pull the low pressure fuel lift pump power connector X94 or A98

John MS 07-21-2019 02:27 PM

The bad guys with a tow truck can be gone with your car in under a minute. Easier than bypassing car security.

Doug Huffman 07-21-2019 02:36 PM

Bad guys will be bad guys. Good behavior cannot be legislated, 'Thou Shalt Not ... !"

My nearest neighbor is 500 yards away and over the shoulder of the mountain heavily treed, so we don't even consider locking up. The back of the house is U-shaped and the mountain falls to within a couple of meters. If some one wanted in they could just demolish the back of the house in complete privacy. Thank goodness our major crime is underage drinking.

bimmerbingo 07-21-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Huffman (Post 13059891)
Bad guys will be bad guys. Good behavior cannot be legislated, 'Thou Shalt Not ... !"

My nearest neighbor is 500 yards away and over the shoulder of the mountain heavily treed, so we don't even consider locking up. The back of the house is U-shaped and the mountain falls to within a couple of meters. If some one wanted in they could just demolish the back of the house in complete privacy. Thank goodness our major crime is underage drinking.

Yup, same here. I'm more concerned about the opportunistic thief/transient (we have lots of those here), not the Ocean's 11 crew coming for my cars :rofl:
Btw, how do I get to the low fuel pump connectors? :thumbup:

Doug Huffman 07-21-2019 03:10 PM

At a guess, they are in the fuel tank and under the rear seat. Lift the seat cushion ...

floydarogers 07-21-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerbingo (Post 13059749)
We live in the rural area in the Pacific Northwest and I'm paranoid that someone could just drive away with our cars while we're out on vacation. I thought about removing the negative terminal from the battery and/or some fuse that is critical to starting up the car. We have a security system (alarm + video surveillance), but you can never be too careful. Our neighbors are also not very close and police would probably take a very long time to get here in case the alarm gets triggered.

Does anyone else have other tips to make it really hard to start the cars? I know some creative thieves can just put them on a platform and take them away, but I doubt opportunity thieves are this prepared.

I worry about our Cle Elum house all the time. It does have an alarm (not connected to a company). I left our garage door open (some tools and stuff, and our Kubota tractor) for two-three weeks last month. Nothing happened (you can't see the door from the road.)

I've had much more to worry about at our cabin up near Mt. Rainier NP - every once in a while some meth-head camps out on the logging roads and raids the out-buildings in the cabin area (175 cabins) looking for tools. There's more than a few people up there with rifles... no one's gotten killed yet, but one can hope.

imtjm 07-21-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerbingo (Post 13059749)
We live in the rural area in the Pacific Northwest ... I know some creative thieves can just put them on a platform and take them away, but I doubt opportunity thieves are this prepared.

Let's visit your reasoning here. You live in a rural area, thieves aren't just going to be trolling around rural areas looking for ad hoc opportunities to steal a car, unless they have nothing but time on their hands. Thieves tend to go the path of least resistance and the opportunity cost of just trolling rural areas is quite high, especially since they don't know what kind of cars they are gonna be able to get (bang for buck). If by chance their are thieves who specialize in rural area car heists, then they have plenty of time on their hands, enough to case your house to target in a rural area. In which case, those thieves have nothing but time on their hands, not to mention would know they had lots of time since they know you are away.

You have insurance, so stop worrying about someone just happening up to your house when you are gone, not knowing what kind of cars you own, opening up the garage, defeating your immobilizers, to take off with your cars.

Here's an idea: put your cars up on blocks, remove all wheels, take out all the air in the tires and remove the valve stems, cache any tire inflator, lug wrenches and valve stems in the middle of the woods marking the dread drop location or taking a gps reading for the coordinates.

charlesberry 07-21-2019 07:26 PM

I bought a stick shift, kids these days don't know what to do with it.

edycol 07-22-2019 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesberry (Post 13060103)
I bought a stick shift, kids these days don't know what to do with it.



^This!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BabyUnicornTaco 07-22-2019 07:04 AM

I have a old $8,500 estimate on some major work. I can just leave that visible on the front seat. No one would touch it.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Psi 5 07-22-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesberry (Post 13060103)
I bought a stick shift, kids these days don't know what to do with it.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

tex2670 07-22-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerbingo (Post 13059749)
We live in the rural area in the Pacific Northwest and I'm paranoid that someone could just drive away with our cars while we're out on vacation. I thought about removing the negative terminal from the battery and/or some fuse that is critical to starting up the car. We have a security system (alarm + video surveillance), but you can never be too careful. Our neighbors are also not very close and police would probably take a very long time to get here in case the alarm gets triggered.

Does anyone else have other tips to make it really hard to start the cars? I know some creative thieves can just put them on a platform and take them away, but I doubt opportunity thieves are this prepared.

The Club.

Kestas 07-22-2019 03:18 PM

A hacksaw to the steering wheel defeats the Club.

bimmerbingo 07-22-2019 09:05 PM

Thank you all for the input! I came to realize that I shouldn't be losing too much sleep over this.

tex2670 07-23-2019 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kestas (Post 13060803)
A hacksaw to the steering wheel defeats the Club.

Oh, I know. I was JK abt The Club.

zod 07-23-2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerbingo (Post 13059749)
Does anyone else have other tips to make it really hard to start the cars? I know some creative thieves can just put them on a platform and take them away, but I doubt opportunity thieves are this prepared.

I'm guessing you can't pull the coil wire. Pulling a strategic fuse in each of the panels should be the equivalent or better. The starter has a relay somewhere too. :)

Pete_NZ 07-23-2019 04:27 PM

Low tech.. Last 3 week trip I made to Japan I had 5cubic meters of gravel delivered (8 tons) to the middle of my driveway. Needed it for the ongoing projects and it was only after ordering to be ready & primed for my return, that I realised it was the perfect security barrier.
Ultimate theft protection for 3 cars, a van, 4 motorbikes & 3 light trailers.

Oh, I have an excavator at home. Does that make it low tech?

bimmerbingo 07-23-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete_NZ (Post 13061795)
Low tech.. Last 3 week trip I made to Japan I had 5cubic meters of gravel delivered (8 tons) to the middle of my driveway. Needed it for the ongoing projects and it was only after ordering to be ready & primed for my return, that I realised it was the perfect security barrier.
Ultimate theft protection for 3 cars, a van, 4 motorbikes & 3 light trailers.

Oh, I have an excavator at home. Does that make it low tech?

Genius! ***x1f642;

Rebound 07-30-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerbingo (Post 13059915)
Yup, same here. I'm more concerned about the opportunistic thief/transient (we have lots of those here), not the Ocean's 11 crew coming for my cars

If youíre not concerned about someone with a tow truck, then the effective theft deterrent is: Donít keep any keys in the home. And thatís it.

BMWís are extremely difficult to steal. If you smash the window, you still canít unlock the door. So youíve got to smash the window and crawl through the glass. And they need a chip in the key to start, and often itís a radio transmitter key. Even if you hotwire them, without the special key, the fuel pump will lockout. Oh, and there are no organized BMW car theft rings because there isnít much volume in BMWís. Hondaís and Toyotaís are much more popular in this respect, such as thieves who cut the catalytic converters out of Priusí and things like that.

But actually stealing the whole car? Very difficult without a tow truck.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.