Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current) (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Just bought a CPO 2017 320i xdrive (https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1387139)

IrishSpuds 06-26-2020 07:39 PM

Just bought a CPO 2017 320i xdrive

As my dealer informed me "You just made it inside the BMW door". Meh, other than his condescension (got a good enough deal to ignore) I figured this should be a safe reliable first car for my kid. I had a couple of BMW's many moons ago, but thankfully this is much more intuitive than my 2008 535xi which was an underpowered fat pig.

I digress, other than permanently disabling the awful automatic stop start, can anyone offer any pointers?

The car has nav and other items but NO Apple. I don't plan on changing the world for her first car, but would gratefully receive any pointers on settings, driving possible add ons etc. I think this is a fine first car, in between car. or last car, in contrast to the bicycle I received at her age.

Thank You!

Thank You.

John MS 06-27-2020 10:43 AM

Nice car for what I assume is a rising12th grader. It will work just fine for college too. I would walk her through the various status screens. Most important would be upcoming service information and tpms.

IrishSpuds 06-27-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John MS (Post 13377453)
Nice car for what I assume is a rising12th grader. It will work just fine for college too. I would walk her through the various status screens. Most important would be upcoming service information and tpms.

Thank You for the insight. Much appreciated and I will follow.

carlson2005 06-28-2020 05:17 AM

Ive had my 2015 328i xDrive since it was new, and it has been essentially trouble free over the last 93k miles.
- You need to find a shop that knows how to change oil and do other maintenance properly (probably not the corner lube place), but that should not be hard, and it is not needed very frequently.
- You will find many comments here about the rougher ride from run-flat tires, but I donít think itís any real issue. The advantage for your daughter is that if the TPMS sensor warning comes on she has 50 miles to drive to a safe area and have it checked out. Much better than trying to change a tire on a busy highway or in a rough neighborhood.
- Gas mileage is incredibly good for a car with this amount of power. Turbo is tuned for low RPM torque, so it feels very strong in normal driving, but still gets 31-32 mpg on the highway.
-Get used to many other drivers thinking she is a typical young BMW ***hole ( or spoiled girl) that drives like a madman. Itís the automotive version of profiling.

Bruce

John MS 06-28-2020 08:33 AM

I have yet to encounter the profiling mentioned above. The way one drives is far more likely to draw disapproving looks and negative comments than the brand name. I agree about run flat tires. With 85k on the original set mine have proven to be well worth it. I think they are a reasonable alternative to carting an unused spare tire.