Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - 2011 E90 Combox Retrofit Review (Bimmertech)
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 05:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to usna2k
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
2011 E90 Combox Retrofit Review (Bimmertech)

Hi all - I just completed a very successful and easy Combox retrofit from Patryk at BimmerTech. I was extremely pleased with every step of the process; Patryk was very patient with me and addressed all my concerns.

The Combox Plug and Play kit arrived stateside in only two business days from Poland via DHL - quite fast! Once I had the kit, there were several parts inside - a 2014 production date Combox; the PnP harness; a black extension cable for running the MULF USB to the Combox, and also a OBD interface cable for the computer.

My 335d had both TCU and MULF located under the carpet in the trunk. I disconnected both, put aside two cables from the TCU that were related to BMW Assist (and not used for the Combox Media unit), and connected the wires in the manner that Patryl described to me. Then I mounted the Combox to the rack in place of the TCU (I left the MULF in place even though it was now not connected.

All that said and done, I arranged a time with the coding tech. A note about that - check your Skype history; he had messaged me with several links to software that he needed ahead of time...I did not see this and consequently was not "ready" when he came online with me. After a few minor issues with my computer, the tech worked his magic and told me exactly what he needed me to do. Once the coding actually began, it only took about 10 minutes. He even coded out the startup disclaimer on my request.

Once coding was complete and a short time elapsed, I started the car back up and everything was functioning perfectly!

A big thank you to Patryk and his team at BimmerTech - he is the real deal and knows these retrofits inside and out.

I will very likely go back to him again for the BMW Apps retrofit, since I did not opt for it at this time. I think I do want the full Pandora functionality.

The basic Combox retrofit gives album art, Bluetooth audio, and several other new features that the old TCU/MULF combo did not have.

If you're on the fence about the retrofit, definitely don't be. It's worth it and easier than you think.