BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

No OTA map update?

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  shawnsheridan 
#1 ·
There's no iD prompt to update the map of the Nav OTA. Is this feature not available on the 2018 G32 or my car is not setup properly? Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
You can't do OTA map update when there's no new update. See info in the quote below where the same question was asked/answered on the X5 F15 forum: :)

OTA map updates are supposed to be available for MY16 and forward for models with iDrive 5 or iDrive 6.
  • You get OTA updates for only one selected region. You select a region by logging into your BMW ConnectedDrive account and clicking My services > Map update.
  • Map updates are only sent when it is determined that there has been a "significant" change for your selected region. In other words, we won't get every update. They're also rolled-out over time, so we won't get updates at the same time.
  • Updated maps for your selected region will be automatically sent to your car, however you will be prompted to install the update. If you haven't been prompted to install a regional update, you haven't received one.
  • BMW does not have a way to force or push an OTA map download.
  • The "Road Map NORTH AMERICA EVO" map version that you see listed in iDrive's "Navigation Software Version" page is the base map version. (see pics below for an example if your latest map update is a regional OTA version)
  • Dealers can update the base map (for all regions) during the "free" three year period - but it's not free! It's supposed to cost $30 or $40. Some dealers may charge for service time as well. It may be worthwhile doing a full map update every two or three years and shopping around for a dealer that won't charge for service time.

#5 ·
Call BMW Genius. Sometimes (often?) they know more than the service dept., esp. about software. OTA has been available since 2016, yet I still talk to service centers who don't know about it! In fact, BMW Genius will authorize a FREE manual update from the service center if you are not receiving OTA updates (even though you have the feature). They authorize ONE manual update w/in a 3-year term.

Another way to confirm you have it is to login to ConnectedDrive, make sure your vehicle is listed (if not then add it), and then see if maps services is listed.
https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/cdp/release/internet/servlet/login?locale=en_US

#8 ·
BMW Geniuses are not....

I recently moved from PA to GA and the maps are not up to date here in GA. I saw the updates that had been installed to my car... Canada/AK and the North East (makes sense). I called customer service to find out how to force the update for Georgia... they told me to take it to a dealer... waste of time. I then emailed the geniuses... they are not genius.. they also told me to take it to a dealer... after reading this thread I poked around in my connected drive menu and found the "BMW Map Update" tile .. it let me choose my default region.. perfect.. I think it will update now BUT.... Georgia is part of (Region 11 Alabama, Florida, Georgia, United States Virgin Islands) ... Alabama and Florida and... and the US Virgin Islands?!!>?! Seriously? I won't be driving to the Virgin Islands anytime soon.. why make Georgia part of this update, it should be with SC, NC, FL, AL.... at least I figured out.. wish they were actual geniuses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.