Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Photo Journal of 3/15 ED: Iceland,Welt,Castles,Rothenburg+ vonTrapp Villa in Salzburg
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i F33 M Sport Verte
VI. Return for Factory Tour and visit to the Gift Shop

V. First night in Germany at the Charles Hotel with its spectacular swimming pool and spa.

AND

VI. The following day's Factory Tour and return to the Premium Lounge as well as picking up momentos from the Welt gift shop to include engraving of the complimentary key chain and acquisition of a replica scale model of our car using the also complimentary BMW 10 Euro Credit as its down payment.

Starting with photos from the Charles Hotel located in Munich. We enjoyed a pleasant evening walk from the hotel to Marienplatz and the Rathaus there with its Glockenspiel as well as picking up some strawberry cakes and apple strudel across from the Rathaus to take back to the hotel for an evening snack.

Momentos from the Welt Gift Shop including engraving of the complimentary key chain:

With regard to the factory tour we had previously toured the Regensburg factory where the then 335i and now 435i convertibles are manufactured. Included herein is a link to that prior tour with details. By way of comparison there were some differences of note. Here are some factoids from my notes:

The Munich BMW factory is a vertical model with floor space enhanced by the line going up onto higher floors due to the limited footprint available in the urban setting of Munich. Doors and hoods at the Munich plant are transported in from the Regensburg plant. The Munich plant makes engines for the BMW owned Rolls Royce, along with four cylinder and even smaller engines. (The brochure, which may be outdated, does reference 6 cylinder diesel engines.) Our guide advised though that all BMW 6 Cylinder engines and all BMW diesel engines are manufactured at BMW's plant in Steyr, Austria. That would mean that the 435i 6 cylinder engine in my vehicle came from Austria.3,300 engines are manufactured at the Munich plant each day.

Automated parts delivery carts are not employed at the Munich plant as they are at Regensburg. In the Paint Shop the undercoat paint is limited to Black, White, Red, and Silver with the selection best matched from those four to the exterior paint color. The painted body shells are not assigned to a specific order. However, once the vehicle assembly begins each car on the line is pre sold (including to dealers) and there are no stock cars built. The most amazing thing about the assembly is that a coupe can follow a touring which can follow a sedan model in sequence on the single line employed at the Munich plant. Currently 8 kilograms of paint are applied to each car. Spinning Emu feathers are used to brush off each body shell before it is dipped into the first of the corrosion/painting baths. The undercoat and final coats are painted completely by robots and it is entertaining to watch the robots open and close the doors and lids to apply the interior paint. Reportedly 540 suppliers are used and there are over 10,000 variants including 200 variants for seats alone. Our guide did not state that no two BMWs are identical but that has been suggested by others.

62 percent of the completed vehicles leave the Munich plant on railroad cars with rest exiting by truck. There are 7,000 plus workers at the Munich plant although the body shell welding is accomplished almost entirely by robots. Generous benefits are given to workers and include a 22 to 27% discount for purchase of their own BMWs. 4 to 5 kilometers of wire are placed into each vehicle by hand. The assembly line workers are made up of 12 persons for each group with members of the group designated as "jumpers" capable of handling skills of each person in the group so they can step in to allow for breaks and to fill in for absences. Approximately 1,000 BMW vehicles are manufactured at the Munich plant each day. Per the somewhat outdated brochure the models made at the Munich plant at the time of its printing are listed as 3 series sedan, 3 series touring, BMW active Hybrid 3, BMW 4 Series Coupe, and BMW M4 Coupe. Again there is only a single line and any one of these vehicles can follow another with the robots, as well as the workers, capable of varying their tasks as to each.

Here is the link to the above referenced Regensburg factory tour from our prior European Delivery:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=regensburg

Last edited by Northcar; 04-05-2015 at 03:25 PM.