Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - The Official F3x OT Thread!
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i'm a fan of the tech when it suits me, but for instance, i do not feel the need to go out and get teh latest in flat screen tech when i do not watch that much tv.

i'm not a gamer, so things like wii, xbox, and the like do not interest me, either.

i *do* like cars, and dig the tech they come with, but feel that somehow there is a whole generation of yung'uns that don't know how to tighten a doorknob but can program t-vo to record a weeks worth of shows.

when i was an auto tech i loved the tech tools that were cutting edge. i hated how fast they got outdated, though.... so upgradability was a key factor in any major purchase.

i like tools, too, be they power tools or kitchen tools. in the kitchen, though, they had better be verstile and multitaskers.

i like the idea that 'low oil level' comes up on the info screen. had that on my old 750 (e32), but was able to verify the level with the dipstick. if nothing else, the dipstick was the 'failsafe'...what hapens if for some reason the sending unit fails (and it will given enough time....) and the motor seizes because the hapless driver has no way of double checking the oil level?? redundancy is a beautiful thing, and something that i think about with regard to machinery. i blame my grandfather, because he was a pilot. he'd be pitching a fit on the stupidity of engineers that let this fly, and the kicher was, he *was* an engineer....

so yeah, i know every generation bemoans the previous. it's what they do. it's inherent to life itself, i guess....

df