BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Updated : picked up 335 Sport Imperial Blue (with a review)

6K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  BruceOmega 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#7 ·
She's a beaut! How do you like the parking package? It's the only one I don't have, I've been missing having a backup cam.

#9 ·
Looks great. I always thought IB would not look good on a sports-line. You have made me realize I was wrong :)

Congrats!

#10 ·
More pics... Quite useful cup holders !

Attachments

#14 ·
If the IB came with a saddle Interior on the sport package I would be all over it! My favorite combo.

... BUT ... maybe the next car.

Still, the BMW configirator does not do any of these colors justice. The IB, Red and Estoril are stunning in real life.

#15 ·
+1 on dark paint, light interiors & sport

Had Montego Blue on Tan (forgot name, leather) interior - loved it. MBZ does black on beige and even off white, looks great IMO

Also not thrilled M Sport ditches the Adaptive (radar) Cruise. I'd be happy if for a $500-$750 bump one could "unlock the locks" and get a little more creative on the special order trim (or more, just offer it). I'm sure as a sheik it's possible but I think the three lines is a barrier mostly to the "perfect" car...

#19 ·
Wrt color decisions... It was the hardest one to make. We did like IB, but previous 335 was Monaco Blue, which is very similar color. However, no other color won our hearts, so we went with IB, and my wife likes it.

#20 ·
My E60 was Monaco Blue and we absolutely loved it. I wish the F10 M sport was available in Imperial. Your combo is among my favorites and in the "running" when we order next month. :thumbup:

#28 · (Edited)
Review

First impressions after 4 days and 180 miles:

* Interior - love combination of black leather and red lines (and others love it too);

* Exterior - overall very nice and aggressive (some comments below)

* Blind spot detection - saved me couple of times already;

* NAVI screen - looks like an iPad - speaks of premium quality;

* Cup holders - you've seen my pictures :)

* Fixed comfort access operations - finally driver seat/mirrors move to the correct position no matter which door handle was used to unlock the car;

* Kick the trunk open feature :) Kids and wife love that;

* Rear seat heating (butt warmers as my kids call them) - finally!

* Rims - very agressive looking, but.. (see below)

* Trunk - extra space under the cover, hooks and nets - very nice

* MPG - big improvement, I mostly give credit to 8-speed tranny. Auto Start is turned off for me :)

* LED angel eyes - love the shape and brightness

Dislikes:

* Steering - too light, even in Sport mode... I seriously dont see how this 335 could be put on a track. For me this is the biggest turn off! Waiting for someone to come up with some coding mechanism to make it tighter, given it is electrically assisted and changes when switching to Sport mode

* Front doors' inner handles - their shape and position require serious pull to properly close the door, resulting in slamming;

* Rear looks/stance - the 225 wheels look too "narrow/small"... I guess the car got wider (or body shape has changed), but wheels could have been wider to give more "sizable" and "premium/sport" stance;

* Rims are not protected by tires - I feel they are designed for 235/245 tires;

* The 12V plug next to the cupholders remain ALWAYS ON even after locking the car (nor I didnt wait 10 mins to see if it will eventually go off, need to try that) - making use of radar dangerous as it could drain the battery;

* The gap on the hood - across the car - where hood cover separates from front grill - it just does not look good there...

* Turn indicator in the mirrors - too bright for my liking - I still want it there, but it should be adjusted down

* Auto Start/Stop - while I do appreciate the feature, I just keep turning it off every time. Dunno, I might get to like it eventually.

* Key fob is huge... takes too much space in my pocket

* Cruise control buttons are confusing - I like it the old way, as on my X5

* Volume control buttons on the steering wheel - I like them on the left hand side, as I steer with left hand and would be easier to use my thumb to adjust volume;

* Breaking - not as grippy as I used to, perhaps they need more time to adjust;

What could be improved:

* HUD options to hide the speed and only display messages & turn-by-turn instructions (meaning stay empty until there is something to show for a short period of time);

* Steering - I said it;

* Tail pipes could have been spread a bit more apart - maybe just an inch;

* Using 235 tires would solve the rear look/stance and rims being unprotected problems;

* Comfort access on rear door handles - give us an option!

* The armrest lid could have had wire bypass channel for my iPhone charging cable;

* An option to remember last driving style (i.e. Sport mode) per key.

* An option, for the Sport/Sport+ mode, to keep shifting as if in Normal mode but only tighten up the steering - I believe 5-series allows to customize that;

* Steering wheel heating button could have been moved onto the wheel itself - just like on my X5... It is very hard to see if I had it turned on (well hidden away)

#29 ·
Wife just came back from a drive (after all it is her car) - she absolutely hates light steering - to the point of making a comment "we could have gotten Honda Accord instead"...

#30 ·
Wow dude, that hurts! Do you have the dynamic handling package?

#36 · (Edited)
Page 107 of the 2012 owner's manual indicates you choose the specific settings in iDrive for sport mode and then everytime you select the sport mode those settings are recalled. ZDH owners, what's the story?

#39 ·
Just picked up my Imperial Blue / Everest Grey 328i X-drive Saturday! Ordered on October 13 - Delivered November 24, only 5 weeks! :) Pictures in Signature!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.