Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - End of lease question
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
I am fairly certain I am the one who shared the original information last year about the changes in lease buyout here on Bimmerfest. I had the actual dealer facing bulletin sent to me (the entire thing) by a friendly BMW Sales Manager. I only posted excerpts from it here... the parts that were relevant to us as purchasers, not the dealer facing explanations.

The policy MAY have changed, but if so, it was in place at least until January of this year when I turned in my wifes X5 and got her a X3.

One thing to remember is, BMW can not prevent the person from buying their car. They chargeback the DEALER. So, of course BMW FS is going to say "the dealer is free to do with whatever they want with the car"... because thats the truth. If the dealer was found to have marked down the car to the original owner, they would be charged "the stated residual + 500". They are not "prevented" from doing so. It just makes zero sense for them to sell a car at less than its stated residual, and risk that penalty. A person can pay stated residual to the dealer instead of BMW FS (maybe the dealer can help them find better firnancing, or maybe they are bundling it with extended warranty they want to finance etc.

There are reasons why someone might still buy from the dealer, even if the price is the same as through BMW FS. BMW FS is not wrong however... the dealer is free to do whatever they want... they are their own entity after all. If they want to lose that money its on them.

BMW FS is not going to tell ANYONE that "the dealer cant do that for you". They are always going to say "talk to your dealer" unless its about the terms of your in place contract with them on a specific car.

BMW can change plans at any time so its always worthwhile to check when in the process of executing (or planning to execute "soon") any transaction on a BMW. With that being said, I dont think this policy has changed but since I am not in the market I have not / will not be reaching out to my Sales Manager contact to see if the policy has changed as of this month.... I doubt it though, and BMW FS saying the dealer can do with whatever they want is no indication at all of any sort of change in this policy.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341