Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - How many miles did you put on your x5?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by amotinga View Post
I'm thinking about getting X5. While I think I can probably afford it ok, it'll be the priciest thing I ever bought so far, it'll be my first nice car. My brother scares me away saying bmw only made to go 100k kilometers.. (not even miles), heavy repairs after that.

What do you guys think? Please share your experience.
It is less about affording the purchase and more about being able to afford keeping it the great driving machine it is. BMWs will need their fair share of maintenance that is costly if you cannot DIY. Every BMW has it's problems. It is important to learn about them and be prepared for them. They can be great for well over 200,000 miles but you have to work at it. If you are scared of what might happen then a BMW may not be for you. You must be able to absorb multiple $1,000 repairs if you can't repair it yourself. BMWs get dumped when the owner can't afford a repair or had no idea what they were getting into. This then drives down the resale value of BMWs. Lots of bad BMWs out there because the owner was neglectful or followed poor BMW maintenance standards.

My experience could have been horrible. My X5 was very reliable for 150,000+ miles. Then it all started leaking. Got a $9,500 estimate to fix a 11 year old BMW. Most people would have dumped it and ran. I decided to try to fix myself. I spent $1,200 on parts and fixed more by myself than a shop would have. If a shop did all of the work I did it would have cost me well over $10,000. So be prepared to cover $1,000 repairs or educate yourself and learn to DIY if you can't already. My story is a good one because I completed all this work together at 155,000 miles and I plan to drive it well over 200,000 miles.

Prepare, prepare, prepare. You must be prepared for what happens after the purchase.

Last edited by BabyUnicornTaco; 05-16-2019 at 06:37 AM.