Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - How many miles did you put on your x5?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 06:49 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Mine 2012 E70 diesel is approaching 90K miles.

I believe that ALL emergent repairs have been covered by one warranty or another, CPO or various ELW.

I try to be meticulous about planned and preventative maintenance. I had ATF and filter changed at <70K miles. I'll have differentials and transfer case fluids changed sooner than later, <100k miles, very likely with the impending alignment and tire rotation.

I follow BMW Oil Change Interval, but have the dealership do it, as much to maintain our relationship as anything. I change the air filters.

I preemptively replaced and upgraded the battery a couple of years ago, as much so that I knew its history as anything else; it had no indication of problems.

I preemptively changed the thermostat. I preemptively replaced the OE CPO RFTs with NOKIAN WR G3 all weather year around snows.

I am under the hood roughly weekly to charge the battery. While there I carefully inspect the Elastobelt and serpentine belt, the coolant reservoir and the PS reservoir. I clean and wash the X5 roughly weekly, during warm weather while I have liquid water, and yesterday inspected the wells left, right and center (electronics and battery).

About affordability; our note will be retired in 18 months, then the payments will be earmarked for emergent and consumable expenses. We hope that this is our last vehicle.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-16-2019 at 06:54 AM.