Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - what do you think of the M Performance Exhaust?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 435i RWD Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
Not at all. It's nothing like the new Mustangs that have a 'quiet' mode to avoid annoying your neighbors. In comfort mode, there's only a slight change in sound at idle and under power. In sport mode, there is a noticeable change, but again, not really raucous until overrun conditions.

For the N55 engines (i.e., 335i, 435i, etc.) BMW offered two M Performance options:

Power Kit: This is essentially an engine tune that increases horsepower and torque by roughly 10%. It also adds some exhaust burbles and pops in some conditions with the factory exhaust. This costs around $1,200 (plus labor) and requires a BMW technician to 'program' the car among other things. I had this applied to my '14 335i. There is a placard that is placed on the fan shroud in the car that indicates if this has been installed. It is very unlikely that your car has this as it wasn't really advertised as a factory option.

Exhaust Kit: This is a replacement of the exhaust system from the cats back (I believe). I think there are some minor performance increases, but the system definitely improves the exhaust sound. I'm not sure what this costs, but is what you are considering.

These can be purchased separately, but they obviously can be bundled for a complete package. When the B58 engine was launched with the 340i, 440i, etc. these were no longer separate - it became a single package. I have this on my current 340i and love it.

In my opinion, I would go with the Power Kit over the exhaust, but that's just me.

Hope this helps!
Very interesting and helpful. Thanks!

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

2016 435i Individual - Citrin Black / Nutmeg Extended Merino Leather