Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - DPF soot rising very quickly prompting too frequent regens?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitocross View Post
. . . The reason why you do have mileage differences in you table is, because there are intermediate regenerations happening (for various reasons and needs - triggered by the computer). Those often end earlier and do not reset the "counter" - meaning, no successfully finished regen is recorded, even though your soot will be low low.
160-200miles between (or approx 200-300+) is a normal distance between two regens happening (in reality), and likely happened even though it recorded 300+ miles in the table. I have been checking this very often.

And I have an Euro E70 and I cannot trigger a regen before calculated soot level reaches 50g, in any case.
You are absolutely right . . . I have noticed EGT climbing up to 300-350C and holding . . . I call these passive regens, and they do not reset the regen counter. Next time I observe these I will keep an eye on the soot level.

Yes, I assumed the soot in grams is a Carly computed value . . . for my purposes it is good enough, I am only looking to see what is happening, not looking for an exact measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey321 View Post
. . . Is Carly the best tool for manually kicking off a regen while driving? I own carly it but rarely use it because I prefer ISTA+ and a laptop size screen.
For me Carly was the best option - OBD reader remains in the car (unplugged), so the setup to monitor takes less than half a minute . . . dragging a laptop out each time I want to monitor something is just too tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitocross View Post
You will not be able to trigger regens manually.Carly "waits" until 50g soot level is reached before triggering a regen even when you do a manual request.
But you also need parameters for regeneration - temperature, rpms, speed, no fault codes, ...etc. That is hardly achievable with cold morning starts and short distances.
Didn't know this . . . there is a manual regen function in Carly, never used it . . . for me, almost always, when soot level reaches ~30 grams, the car triggers an active regen, and about 15-20 minutes later, soot level is down to near zero and EGT drops first to ~300C and then back to normal running temp (about 230C). After a key-off, the regen counter resets by one.