Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - DPF soot rising very quickly prompting too frequent regens?
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitocross View Post
We probably have a little different versions of engines because of where we live. Try the manual request in Carly. For me it never did anything. Always waited for min. 50g of soot.
30g for my car is sort of a mid level.
After regen finishes in my car, the counter immediatelly sets value to 0 or 1 - depends if it was completed to 0g or not. Key-off has no effect on this.
Just some interesting differences.
Yes, I will try and do a manual regen next time the soot level is over 25 grams and see what happens.

My X5d:
X5 E70 LCI BMW X5 35dX // Type Code: ZW03 // Type: GEFZG // Engine: M57Y

Key-off . . . I was referring to the no. of successful regen read by Carly . . . e.g. if the counter was at 570 and an active regen is triggered, you will notice the soot level drop, after the soot level reaches close to zero, the EGT will start to drop . . . but the 570 number stays the same. The next time I start the car, the regen counter will read 571.

Soot level and when regen is triggered varies a LOT . . . I have never seen a regen triggered with soot level below 15 grams . . . all of the regens I have observed were above 20 grams . . . some as high as mid 30 grams . . . I don't recall seeing a soot level over 40 grams.

As others have pointed out - many parameters have to cross a threshold before an active regen is triggered, the soot level is only one of the many. I only watch the soot level to see if the active regen takes the soot level down to near zero grams. Again the soot level figure is a Carly computed number, so, at best, a decent estimate.