Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - At what point do you have to start monitoring your oil to top off?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I have taken a number of cars past 100K miles, and my SAAB 99 to 240K miles. Of course I have had only about a dozen cars in 55 years, including my fun cars. I do not recall any car regularly requiring intermediate oil additions. I ran both my VW TDI diesels at the minimum oil level mark to avoid collecting oil vapor in the IC.

I look at oil level frequently and regularly. With the X5 AGM battery, I charge weekly, check oil level, coolant level, inspect belt and vibration reducer elastomer element, wipe here and there, top up WW reservoir, occasionally look at the brake master cyclinder.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 09-07-2019 at 03:11 PM.