Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - At what point do you have to start monitoring your oil to top off?
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic1079 View Post
I had a 2006 325xi 6 speed with 205k on it (all highway miles with original clutch but hit a deer and totaled it) that didn't use a drop of oil...Best car I ever owned. My 2002 325xi used about a quart every 3-5k miles but it was also more prone to valve cover leaks. Honestly, 1/2 quart every 5-7k miles isn't that concerning.
I checked my logs. Oil change was done in July 2 about two months ago, and since then, I have driven 3k miles. It asked for 1 quart of additional oil. First time this warning light turned on. I changed the valve cover gasket because it was leaking, on July 24. But there is a no chance that could have cause a full quart of leakage.

I have a 2013 E70 xdrive35i. Now it has 90,000 miles. Even if the tech was shady, it's not like he will admit that he put in 6 quarts instead of 6.9 quarts. He did scan the system and said that the sensors are fine. But I asked him what type of oil he put in. He said he thinks it was 5w-30. I believe it's supposed to be 5w-40. I brought this up with the shop owner and owner said they get the oil directly from BMW so there shouldn't be any confusion about the type of oil. The advice was to monitor the car. When I start the car in the morning, check the tail pipes for any blue smoke which would indicate burning oil.

How many miles would you have to drive before the light came on? I imagine the computer would tell you right away if there wasn't enough oil. Would it really take 3000 miles, 2 months later, for the computer to sense that there was 1 qt short of oil?

Last edited by jyeh74; 09-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.