Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - At what point do you have to start monitoring your oil to top off?
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
This is not a one size fits all answer. Some motors burn oil and require topping off between oil changes, some don't, and some are in transition from not burning oil to requiring a top off. Which of the three does yours fall into? That will give you the answer.

As to the iDrive oil level tool, I trust it and use it. Over the past 13 years I have had four cars with it, three of which are still in the fleet, two of which have a dip stick for physical check. I use the iDrive method periodically if I happen to be BS'ing through the menus, other than that all my cars make it through a full oil cycle without a top off so not something I obsess about.
Ok, does anyone have a E70 xdrive 35i which is the inline turbo 6 cyclinder gas car? Close to 100k miles. Did you guys ever experience top offs between oil changes (I'm doing every 7500 miles)? I want to say it was just the tech not ordering the right amount of oil from BMW directly. Or maybe getting a wrong shipment of oil that is thinner. Seems like Doug says topping of in between oil changes even with high mileage cars is not common but everyone else saying it does happen. All I know is, according to the tech, the sensor isn't showing it is faulty with the computer scan today. The warning light came on asking for one qt. showing a yellow bar near minimum. I put in one qt and the fill level to maximum level and turned green and warning light went away. The oil didn't overflow when I poured in the entire one qt. This has only happened once, in the entire time I've owned this car. Warning light came on after 3000 miles since the last oil change at 88k miles. I now have 91k miles. It has NEVER happened before. I don't notice any blue gas emitting from the tailpipes when I start the car. Nothing smells funny. This is the first oil change I've done at this Indy shop. Hard to pinpoint.

Last edited by jyeh74; 09-09-2019 at 10:22 PM.