Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - At what point do you have to start monitoring your oil to top off?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael47 View Post
Um, the wise grasshopper watches for the need to add oil starting at about 1,000 miles. Seriously. There is no magic mileage number at which to begin to pay attention to the details, such as slight oil consumption. If you drive a car, you should know that it has enough air in the tires and enough oil in the crankcase before you put the transmission in "D." Or step on the clutch.
Coolant, too.

The modern cars' low oil, low coolant, and low tire pressure warning make cars more idiot proof. I got a low coolant warning in Frau Putzer's 2018 X3 30i at about 5k miles. There was no blue puddles on the garage floor, but the thing needed 700ml to get back to MAX on the reservoir. The blue puddle was soon to follow, from a defective electric water pump.

Admittedly, the lack of a dipstick leaves me less motivated to open the hood to check the coolant level.

Modern cars burn less oil now, too. Well, except for BMW V8's, which by no coincidence now come with dipsticks again. When I was a young whippersnapper, back in the 1980's, I worked part-time in a bank's courier office. They had about 15 Fords, and they all used a quart of oil about every 2k miles. My 123k-mile Chey Cobalt only uses about a half-quart in 8k miles.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 09-11-2019 at 12:42 PM.