Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - How To Easily Find Information on Your E39 Topic Before Posting a New Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 07:24 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdubya1198 View Post
I would recommend starting your own thread with your issue in the title
We really should ask the moderators to delete the off-topic posts to any sticky thread (and, of course, in general, we should ignore those posts, perhaps sending a PM to the errant posters letting them know why they'll never get their answer that way).

Anyway, I came here just now to make a point about how the bestlinks has been morphing, over time, to be the best links INSIDE of Bimmerfest, and specifically inside the Bimmerfest E39 forum, and, how we've been cross referencing the canonical threads inside of Bimmerfest.

There's nothing wrong with best links outside of bimmerfest, EXCEPT that it's hard to add value to thread outside of bimmerfest (and, it's easy to link outside threads to inside threads on Bimmerfest).

Today, that issue came up when I was researching the best M54 head gasket DIY for this thread:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Head gasket?

Of course, I typed /head gasket f3 in the bestlinks, and, since there were a few hits, I went backward (using Shift F3) to find the last ones (which are generally the best overall).

However, in this case, it found a thread OUTSIDE of Bimmefest...
- A DIY for replacing the I6 M54 head gasket (1) & a DIY for replacing the V8 M62TU head gasket (1)

The problem with pointing to that external M54 head gasket DIY isn't that it's not a good DIY (it is); the problem is that (a) we can't easily improve it, and (b) it may disappear at any time.

So, I searched for an I6 head gasket DIY INSIDE of Bimmerfest (using the classic E39-only title-only search for simple keywords such as "head gasket"). Of course, the problem is that search finds five pages of hits encompassing over a hundred threads.

Of course, if it was ME, who needed a head gasket DIY, I'd read EVERY one of those hits ( and a few hundred others found on the net); and I'd likely summarize what I found, and ask a few questions, and then buy the tools and snap photos of every single bolt and provide a description down to the thread and torque values; but I don't have that kind of energy for a problem that I don't even have. If others, who do have the problem do that, it would make sense - but those people are few and far between (perhaps one out of a few thousand).

You'd think we could easily narrow down the Bimmerfest-only E39-only search to "M54 head gasket diy" (which is what we really want to find), but, of course, that finds zero hits (since most people unhelpfully just put something like "head gasket" or "overheat" or "blown engine" or just "engine" as their subject line).

But, there's hope ...

It turns out, by looking at the "head gasket" threads, and then picking the ones with the most posts, and then reading them, I find a cross reference to this thread (which I would never have found with a title-only search) which I would normally unilaterally declare the canonical thread on how to replace the M54 head gasket.
> E34 (1989 - 1995) > 525i Head

But, then I find out it's an E34 thread. Sigh.

Given this situation, sometimes it's just best to start a NEW thread, with a GOOD TITLE, and KEYWORDS.

Then, we can at least, over time, turn that thread into a canonical thread, by constant cross referencing when NEW related threads come along...

It's not perfect, but, it's a PROCESS to make things better for the NEXT person with the same problem, which, we hope, will outlast our time here on Bimmerfest...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > How to test, remove and replace the M54 cracked cylinder head DIY or head gasket DIY

TAGS: blown engine, blown gasket, compression test, cracked head, engine overheated, head gasket, overheated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head_gasket_diy.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	504143  

Last edited by bluebee; 04-17-2015 at 07:33 AM.