Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Carfax on used car has 1 reported accident. Is this a non buy? 2014 328D?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by caswcu View Post
Personally if damage was under 1500-2000 and fixed exceptionally I would pursue it. Resale value why even bother worrying about.
Resale concern is less if you normally trade-in, since you dont have to deal with the 'demand' side and only the 'value' side.
The higher value the car, the more severe damage that will get fixed. I never buy a car that has an accident in its first few years. At least when it is 5 or 8 years old, any significant damage will total the car (if appropriately insured).
Not all accidents are reported.
Not all reported accidents are reported to your source.
Buy on condition and overall value; including structural integrity and mechanical state. 328d is overall a pretty rare car but pretty easy to find by expanding your area and being diligent. You will want to either *buy the car you want for the long haul, or *enjoy some good mpgs while you diligently hunt for the car you want for the long haul.
Don't buy an underoptioned BMW unless it is some unbelievable deal or gifted to you. Options that matter vary by model. For the three series that is at least the multi-function navigation screen, and one or both of backup camera/parking sensors. My opinion is it needs a whole lot more. Read up on what the available options were and decide what matters for you.

More important than getting you there, a car's first priority job is to keep you as safe as possible in a collision or in collision avoidance. Reported and unreported accidents do matter, as do their associated repairs, but used cars are very case-by-case basis with many inputs.

Last edited by dzlbimmer; 06-12-2019 at 07:43 PM.