Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Downsides to an xDrive?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Exactly

I said it many times here that 6/10ths are my self-imposed limit on the public road and I will not go faster than that. I define 6/10ths as tires can be heard squealing but car is still on rails and there is no need to drive with your feet. Breaking traction on purpose means you will have to drive with your feet to control trajectory of the car - so, I agree with you. That said, though ...

1. You can certainly break traction in AWD vehicle as well. Your comment I quoted above could be misinterpreted as "you cannot break traction with AWD" - and that would be a dangerous assumption indeed.

2. RWD is definitely more fun and you do not need to break traction to feel it. But it does imply that you have limited slip differential on rear axle - just as I mentioned in my first reply here. When the diff locks, the inside wheel, that now turns much faster than it normally would, will let you feel the rotation from the rear without tires necessarily breaking traction.
i'm glad you have a self calibrator capable of measuring into tenths. Actually, if a car's tires is squealing, by the very definition, it is no longer still on rails. The contact patches have lost traction

yes, I agree about breaking traction with AWD, considering you can turn of/on xdrive. I never said you could not break traction with AWD, but I get your poin.

do tell how anyone can tell the difference between RWD and xdrive which operates mostly in RWD, and how you can determine "fun", except as I understand your comment being able to break contact patch, which as noted above you can also do by pressing a switch on xdrive models.

anyway, to each their own, regardless of reality.