Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Drivetrain malfunction - stranded - dealer needs help
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 11:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to SS Send a message via Yahoo to SS
Mein Auto: 650iC/X5 4.8/545i/330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperBoy2 View Post
Turned out to be a bad ignition coil that which caused engine management to cut power, but not full limp mode which in turn cascaded into causing DSC to go crazy. Cutting power makes sense, but having the car pull hard side-side definitely didn't. The Dinan certified shop was able to decode the errors after talking to the parent company. The car needed its 30k spark plug replacement anyways so had them and all coils replaced

As I tell my friends contemplating BMWs - the drive quality is amazing but reliability is absolutely aweful. As long as you know that going in, you won't get surprised by all the unexpected, costly failures...
WOW, I'm very late, but extremely happy your issue was such a small one. I'd have felt horrible for you just purchasing a vehicle and having a major problem. I have 37k on my 2016 F85 X5M and haven't had any major problem with it. This vehicle is almost never in the shop, except for maintenance and small repairs here and there.