Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Model 3 starts delivery, is that really the 3-series killer?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 550i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
The quote you provided regarding Taycan vs. Model S is pretty useless for determining if the numbers in it mean anything at all. It is totally anecdotal, and being on a Porsche forum, it certainly wouldn't be surprising if the post was very slanted. There are far too many variables that can be introduced to achieve just about any results you want.

At least the EPA has a set of standards that have to be met, so the results should be fairly consistent for comparison purposes. Here is what the EPA shows for kWh per 100 miles for a selection of AWD luxury class EVs.

Porsche Taycan 49kWh
Audi Etron 46kWh
Jaguar iPace 44kWh
Tesla Model X Long Range 35kWh
Tesla Model S Long Range 30kWh
Tesla Model Y Performance 28kWh
Tesla Model 3 Long Range 26kWh

Based on independent tests I showed you you can figure it out by now that EPA is useless.

It can be tricked by setting the standard regen high for example. Tesla also uses overpressurized 41-45psi ECO tires. Additionally EPA results are reported by the manufacturers. Tesla is reporting such high range on dyno that no Tesla owner has ever reached in real life.
1998 BMW 528i MT @ 231k //sold
1997 Saab 9000 //sold