Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - "BMW acknowledges it is no longer Ultimate Driving Machine"
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 05:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
You have to remember... I'm new to BMW. I still don't own one, but I have one on order. But I can tell you this.. Most of my friends that use to purchase BMWs don't any longer. They lease because they say the cars are NOT reliable like they were and they don't want to get stuck with large repair bills after the cars are out of warranty.

As for the N20... I've seen multiple posts on different sites about the chains popping and taking out the motor. BMW even has come out with a revised chain. Another thing I remember is the carbon problem when BMW started using DI and BMW's fix was to walnut shell the engine. I'm assuming BMW has re-engineered their motors so they won't need to be walnut shell blasted. But I remember thinking... How did BMW not catch this when they were in the testing phase? How come GM got it right and BMW didn't?
Direct injection and turbo charging are MUCH more prevalent in the industry then in the past, to meet environment regs. Issues related to this technology run across manufacturers and not a "BMW problem". Walnut shell blasting also is not a "BMW fix". It is an industry fix to clean carbon deposits. Why did you order a BMW if you are so scared of them, and frankly ill-informed. Ask VW about timing chain issues and water pumps. Ask Subaru about ringland failures. Etc. All manufacturers have their issues. People come to the internets to complain and blow these things up.

Past:
2010 GTI | Stage II
2007 Audi A4 | Stage I
2003 325i | DSG Transmission (yes, the old school one)
2001 325ci | ED | Silver | Sport | Premium
1995 318 Ti | Cosmos Black

Last edited by RockyM; 04-28-2017 at 05:41 AM.