Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - "BMW acknowledges it is no longer Ultimate Driving Machine"
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 06:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Yes "behind the curve" does make sense, esp. for a brand like BMW which prides to be at the forefront of tech, any tech.

Now the acknowledgement of "behind the curve" by itself can as well be BMW's subtle admission of not being UDM, as it is hard to imagine UDM and "behind the curve" are synonymous, right?

And according to the articles, that future is just around the corner, e.g. MB delivering self driving tech by end of this year, and Tesla shipping Model 3 starting sometime this year.

In that context, the thread title probably is right on target, as that really is the sense of urgency, or clear and present danger, permeated by the BMW brass to the BMW staff.
If you consider tesla "ahead of the curve" in driving experience, yes. I doubt you do though.

Driving experience and "what people want" are different things. BMW is saying that they are behind the curve in producing what millenials (their future customers) want. Nothing about that says they are laking in driving experience.

The public doesnt want "ultimate driving experience", unless someone considered the shift to SUVs an indication that the public wants driving experience over "tech and comfort"?

So, no I dont agree with your thread title or premise, unless you think that a model S drives better (not accelerates quicker, drives better) than a BMW. I think you are in the bay area where teslas are basically almost like toyota camry's so I would imagine you have driven one. I have. Nice car (hate the big A** touch screen though, i much prefer BMWs measured approach to the user experience there). Not that fun a driving experience. It was faster than my 435, monstrous accelleration, but "soulless".

Thats what people want now, though (an appliance, at multiple price levels like cheap cloth couches, cheap leather couches and expensive couches.. all still a couch / appliance for sitting).

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341