Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Bridgestone run flats vs. Cosmo Mucho Macho, I made the switch
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 08:15 AM
Fool on the Hill

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive 35d 2013
I avoid the Chinese brands I never heard of. But there are a lot of good tires not carried by Tirerack. Nitto, Nokian, come to mind. My X5 has the space saver spare and jacking kit, so I replaced the run flats with non run flats and glad I did.

I had a cheapskate father. He would replace one tire at a time and often was driving on four different brands at once He once bought a tire called an "Abel Label" tire. It was wrapped tight in a tough taped wrapper and was bound so tight that the tread was folded in half, and the tire looked like a big washer. I think they did this so they took up less space in transporting and warehousing. He paid something like $8 for that tire in the mid 1960s. He was also so cheap, he mounted and dismounted tires using tire irons in his own driveway. He attempted to balance tires by loosening the wheel bearing on a front wheel, mounting the tire and wheel, and adding weights until the weight appeared neutral.