Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - 18d timing chain maintenance
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray View Post
The preventative maintenance is simple. Change your oil.

it seems that most cases where the chain guides failed was people doing extended oil change intervals. Change your oil every 7500miles with 0W40LL01 and you will be golden.

Note 0W40 is the new recommendation for N20 turbo engines from BMW themselves. and LL-01 is still currently the best lubrication standard as reported on reliable oil analysis sites.

The percentage of chain guide failures are very low compared to the number of N20 engines on the road. Remember, BMW has stupid long oil change intervals. Get an oil analysis done and then remove a few thousand from their recommendation for a safety margin.

I'm at 7500 miles as that is a every 6 month oil change for me.
Purely curious on your opinion here - What would you say for time intervals ? Over a 12 month period I'd probably accumulate ~6,000 miles. Given that low mileage accumulation, I've always done oil changes on my E90 at once per year (I don't care too much about the mileage and I don't really track it as it's lower than 5,000 miles on that particular car). I was planning the same for the E84.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?