Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Motor locked X5 2012
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
+1

So true. People are facing a $15k bill, but wont spend $250 for a solid diagnosis.... dealerships know this, and use it. How many owners will seriously get a tow truck to move a car!??

"Oh, BMWNA recommends replacing the whole motor, so they wont pay for a teardown- will cost you $2500". Dealer most definitely DOES NOT WANT anyone saying 'this was the mechanics fault', because then the DEALER pays for it.

Dealer will make BMWNA look like the bad guy too. Remember, dealer's #1 goal is to protect their a$$es. They cannot be trusted to be an honest broker with BMWNA on your behalf. While you are limited, just understanding their conflicts can help you manage the communications.

If this happened to me, I would do the following:

1. Ask for a written explanation as to what happened
2. Ask if the dealer and BWMNA are going to cover it
and if no
3. Tell then they have no permissions to touch the car, I will make arrangements to have the car transported to my expert for a forensic teardown. "Can I have them pick it up tomorrow morning?"

If you have a locked motor, that is known to be scrap, it is only a few hours of aggressive parts removal to figure out the cause.... you arent doing a 'book time disassembly'. Its a 'what happened look-see'. JMHO

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate the comments and suggestions from everybody.
Now our dealer is trying to negotiate with BMWNA and I expect some offer or explanation will be given to me.

I would like see how it will work first.then I may not be able to update every single dialogue with them.

Thank you again.