Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Fault Code Currently Present
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3L3NTL3SS View Post
Update:

Ended up paying the $253 diagnostic fee, and was told that because this is an info code and doesn't affect driving, BMW won't cover this under warranty. They apparently checked the wiring and found no issues. They also said that they were able to clear the code, but after going home and hooking up ISTA+ with an ICOM NEXT device, I still see the same code there...
My 4 year old 328i was in the shop probably 10 times to investigate
problems while under warranty. I was never charged an analysis fee when no repair was required and I live in the pricey Metro Washington D.C. area. All of my work is performed by the selling dealer. I have chosen not to buy a code reader because it only translates error codes. It does not analyze the codes, point to solutions and most importantly fix problems on a complex automobile. I choose to let trained experts do that work.

I wonder if you are overusing the code reader and the dealer is trying to control your impulses with an analysis fee. Did a system error message or operating problem with the car cause you to hook up the reader initially? If you are just hooking the reader up out of curiosity I think you should put it back on the shelf. Just rely on the internal monitoring system and how the car is running.