Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Mileage - puzzling discrepancy . . . indicated vs. actual/manual
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 12:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
When I was L6S indoctrinated, the boogiemen were: transportation, retooling, inventory, rework, and inspection. The thing is that each one of the boogiemen is a cure for at least one of the other boogiemen. The problem is that L6S-ers get fixated on eliminating just one of the boogiemen, and accidently let the other ones grow into monsters.

I managed SONAR system that had portable test sets about the size of a large ice chest. They made enough of them during initial production to last 25 years. Each of the 21 ships with that SONAR got one, and the rest, maybe ten, were stacked in a warehouse in Pennsylvania. The spare parts guy called me up one day, saying that their warehouse management algorithm told him to throw all of them away. He figured he'd better call me first, though. To replace those ten test sets would cost maybe $1M, considering all the necessary design refresh and re-tooling costs. So, the algorithm was going to throw away $1M of stuff to free up literally about 15 square feet of floor space.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 09-05-2019 at 01:22 PM.