BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E90 First Drive Review (Jan. 18)

9K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Andy 
#1 ·
#8 ·
SONET said:
Form over function. That might be okay in designing living room furniture, but this is going to be marketed as a driver's car. :thumbdwn:

--SONET
Well, considering the current gauge is HEAVILY buffered, this isn't much of a change.

#11 ·
Those are the best pictures I've seen of the e90 to date-- makes it look decent. I still don't understand why they did the interior the way they did-- it doesn't look sporty, elegant, or classy. It just look strange and vaguely American car. Its a small thing, but I also can't fathom why they haven't figured out how to incorporate an indash CD changer. I think BMW should put a hold on developing new technology until they can figure out the basics of in-car entratinment in 2004.

#12 ·
robg said:
Those are the best pictures I've seen of the e90 to date-- makes it look decent. I still don't understand why they did the interior the way they did-- it doesn't look sporty, elegant, or classy. It just look strange and vaguely American car. Its a small thing, but I also can't fathom why they haven't figured out how to incorporate an indash CD changer. I think BMW should put a hold on developing new technology until they can figure out the basics of in-car entratinment in 2004.
Some of the earlier pictures in the "Official E90 thread" makes the center console look nearly Japanese.

#15 ·
I still truly dislike the tail lights. The front would look SO much better to me if they just integrated the grill into the hood like in the E46. Even if the ran the hood over the grill like they did in the E36 it would look better than what they have now.

The beige interior is NASTY. It looks a bit better in black, but still no where near what they were in the E36/46. That's a shame.

#16 ·
Desertnate said:
I still truly dislike the tail lights. The front would look SO much better to me if they just integrated the grill into the hood like in the E46. Even if the ran the hood over the grill like they did in the E36 it would look better than what they have now.

The beige interior is NASTY. It looks a bit better in black, but still no where near what they were in the E36/46. That's a shame.
I kind of agree with your point about the grill, but if they did that why change anything at all. As for indash CD changers, it is probably becasue they didn't have any room. ALso since the new CD player is MP3 compatible you shouldnt need one...

#17 ·
BlackChrome said:
No more coolant gauge? :dunno:
The newer BMWs do have an "advance warning stripe" in the tachometer, which serves the function of the coolant gauge (kinda).

On start-up, the stripe extends all the way to 4500 rpm, basically warning not to rev beyond that (although it will do it). As the engine warms, that stripe recedes until it stops at redline.

#19 ·
Jalli said:
I kind of agree with your point about the grill, but if they did that why change anything at all.
The changes are much more than the grill...Its shape has changed, the headlights are very different, the whole shape has changed. I don't think changing where the hoodline cuts through would change much. It would still fit nicely into the design of the car without making it look like the grill was an afterthought.

G
#20 · (Edited)
That read like a press release. It seemed to lack any objective appraisal of the car. When you have blurbs like "Six speed gearboxes are standard across the range, both manual and automatic, the latter with full manual override if you feel like taking control yourself.", there's no way that wasn't cut-and-pasted from BMW press materials. "Full manual override"?! On an automatic?! Surely they aren't referring to Steptronic.

Another- "It’s undoubtedly a classic engine in the making, this 3-litre, and it would take a hard nosed, heavily chipped Impreza driver to be anything less than impressed with the level of performance." Um, okay.

Many other quotes exhibited the same apparently lack of objectivity.

I look forward to reading a real review.

#21 ·
TD said:
That read like a press release.
Exactly... Thank you. It smelled like a real review, but I had to re-read it twice to confirm that indeed no real driving experiences were other than a comparison about active steering: " the 330i seemed more alive than the 320d driven with the regular steering"

A good rehash of the car's features and UK specs.

#22 ·
BlackChrome said:
'Let's leave the useless MPG gauge there but delete somewhat more useful coolant gauge...' :rolleyes:

Why can't BMW just include a oil temp gauge???????? :mad:
Amen, BlackChrome. What a useless and distracting thing the MPG gauge is...of course the traditionists gave me crap about that notion...i guess they still want to roll down their windows with the hand cranks.

#25 ·
philippek said:
The newer BMWs do have an "advance warning stripe" in the tachometer, which serves the function of the coolant gauge (kinda).

On start-up, the stripe extends all the way to 4500 rpm, basically warning not to rev beyond that (although it will do it). As the engine warms, that stripe recedes until it stops at redline.
Also if you do get I Drive you can get all that information out of it such as coolant temp and oil level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.