Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Rethinking DIY oil changes
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
But nothing can compare to piece of mind when you do the work yourself. Am I right? So that's probably always been my main reason for DIY. Typically there is a great cost saving in there too.... not in this case.
Yes, peace of mind and an opportunity to look over the car a bit. Not much cost savings. But, there is time savings unless you work close to a dealership and can just drop it off and pick it up.

And, you don't sit around the dealer and then have them come out to tell you the other $2,000 of work you "urgently" need. I had an alignment done the other day at BMW and the they came out and told me I needed a new valve cover gasket and a new engine ground strap. The valve cover gasket is only weeping a little and has years to go. No smoking, no oil top off between changes, nothing on the garage floor. My E60 has the magnesium valve cover, so the gasket isn't the rubber one. They wanted $400 alone for the engine group strap and $1,200 for the valve cover. The paper said the ground strap "had failed". Well, yes, it was greenish, but it was still a bit flexible and no strands were severed - it had not failed. I changed it anyway in less than an hour. The part was $40.

Last edited by twh; 09-10-2019 at 08:16 AM.