Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - N52 - Have a weird sound by the oil filter. Video.
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 04' 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalexander View Post
You say over torque-ing the oil filter cap doesn't compress and crush the oil filter element. If that is the case, explain how did his oil filter get compressed and crushed?
The TQ is insignificant, the oring is what seals the cap. the TQ spec is for the oring, not the filter. I agree that the cage in the cap doesn't normally come off and if the cage is not seated all the way in the cap maybe some damage could be caused but.. while looking at the filter full screen it looks normal to me. the filter has a slight twisting friction applied as you install the filter into the housing and it gets tight, if it wasn't tight on the top and bottom it wouldn't seal and filter properly. the filter is manufactured with straight pleats, then it's twisted to seat it into place where it spends the next 3000-7500+ miles with hot oil running through it. then it's removed from the housing and the pleats don't straighten all the way back out. That's what I see, that's how my bmw's have looked, my volvo looked and my wifes van's look.
the only filters that I haven't seen do that are the reinforced metal ones in helicopter engines and transmissions.
2000 Mustang GT 477whp 500tq (money pit)