Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - N52 - Have a weird sound by the oil filter. Video.
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 07:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 528i
I see only 3 ways for the oil filter to become crushed. Either the oil filter that was installed is an off brand and is a bit longer than it should be, is of inferior quality or at some point the oil filter cover was replaced with an off brand and it is not quite the exact size. As far as the oil filter cage goes, mine has been loose ever since I can remember and has never made any noise. I also know these cages have been loose on cars that I service and none of them have ever had noise issues, or crushed filters for that matter. I have seen filters become disfigured if left in for too long or when cheap filters have been used. Here is something to think about...... For those of you who take your car in for oil change services, how sure are you that they are using the correct filter? And by correct I don't mean one that just fits but one that is actually manufactured correctly. The reason I bring this up is that all oil filter manufacturers have different levels of filters, gold, silver and platinum lines for example. Each of these lines have different mileage ratings and I can guarantee you that the majority of oil change places choose the cheapest priced filter which also happens to be the lowest mileage rated filter also. When these filters start to go over their mileage rating they start to break down and this is when the filter becomes disfigured. Here is an example of in regards to the oil filter lines https://www.napaonline.com/en/brands...rs/oil-filters I don't mean to pick on Napa, I'm just using them as an example. Now all of these shops stock oil filters and the filters that are normally stocked are the low line ones. This is done to keep your oil change prices low because oil changes are loss leaders for shops.