Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Rear Brake Pads and Rotors
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 328dx Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskbimmer View Post
Hello All ~

Proud new owner of a 428i Convertible with Xdrive here. MY 2014. Owned it about a week and got the rear brake sensor warning.
Whoa a vert, nice!

Quote:
1. I think I have a good understanding of changing pads/rotors. Have done it in the past with my E46 and other vehicles. I am not too concerned about this being substantively different from those. If I am wrong, please correct me.
Nope, not terribly different/difficult. Just a standard floating caliper (unless you have the M-sport brakes, in which case it's fixed). You'll want to take off the bottom plastic covers protecting the suspension components for more access to the caliper mounting bolts though.

Quote:
2. My real concern is replacing the sensor wire. Specifically, how hard is it to reach the plug-in? Some of these vehicles have the plug in a small plastic box that is easily accessible. With others you have to remove the inner wheel cover. If this is accessible, I feel confident in my ability to replace it. If I have to start removing a bunch of crap, just to get to it --- I will likely pay the dealer to do this job.
It's in a very easily accessible box. Don't even worry about it!

Quote:
3. I have 9 months left on my manufacturers warranty. Miles don't matter --- it is at 38k and I will not put 50k on it in the next nine months. Will this void it?
Pretty sure it won't void the warranty.

Quote:
4. I have about $200 credit built up at my Ford Dealer from previous work on my Taurus. However, they won't touch my BMW. That scares me a bit and makes me think there is some kinda difficulty with this job that I don't know about.
Nothing scary/weird/unique.

Quote:
5. These cars have a low clearance. I really like that about them, but also concerned a bit about jacking it. I have 18s. It not M-sport, but Sport line trim. Should I be concerned?

That's it guys. Any insight is very helpful.
You should be plenty fine. You'll have plenty of clearance in the rear to get under the diff, and the front you can always drive up on some boards if you need a bit more clearance. The only thing I'll caution is the center front jacking point is a bit curved at the front, so make sure your jack has a wide enough pad, or that your jack isn't as risk of slipping off the curved part.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 10-24-2017 at 02:40 PM.