Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Sport automatic transmission w/o Sport Line
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
I take your point that paddles won't substitute for the experience of manually shifting. Still, I read that the sport transmission is faster and quieter, and there are times on dirt roads when I want to be able to decide what gear to be in. I guess I can still do that with the knob for the standard transmission. It just seems annoying not to be able to order a performance option for the Ultimate Driving Machine that has no logical connection to my choice of doorsill. This seems like a marketing error by BMW, in terms of what they should want to promote about their vehicles. It's an entirely different matter not to offer manual for the wagons; I can accept that, even if I don't like it.

Btw, tturedraider, the X1 does not have a MT option. You can, however, get a steering wheel with paddle shifters for only $120. The X1 is a great vehicle to drive, but somewhat yesterday's news being delivered today.
Yeah, I was quite surprised to find that. I thought they were bringing over the manual for the four banger.

The X1 may be a little older technology, but take it from an E90 owner, the technology is still great. If you're still planning on going on unpaved roads some I actually think the X1 is the better choice. Another trust me - trust me, you would love the X1 35xDrive, even with the "old" six speed step. And you could get the shift paddles. And you could get the 300 hp inline six at a very reasonable price. In the long run I predict you would be very, very pleased you had the inline six.

In the new 3er setup the non-sport models are being marketed to consumers who aren't as interested in the sporting characteristics of the 3er. So, the sport auto is logically reserved for customers most interested in the more sporty versions of the 3er. Consumers like you who want a no-line model yet want the sport auto are very few and very far between.

Again, from what I gather you're looking for, I think the X1 35xDrive is the value proposition.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-05-2013 at 10:41 AM.