Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Run flats work as expected
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
Agreed 100%. The post above to which I was responding didn't make any sense. RFTs work fine in an urban environment, but I agree they're a problem on road trips. I was just sharing my urban experience where they worked as advertised.

For what it's worth, this is likely my last BMW. The Audi Q5 and Porsche Macan are just so compelling as compact SUVs. My X1 only has 26K miles on it, so I'm at least 5 years out from buying a new vehicle.
I think Dougie was complaining more about urban areas than he was about flat tires.

I grew up in an area where having a blowout in the wrong place could get you killed, either run over or murdered. But, the overwhelming majority of flat tires are slow leaks, not blowouts. I'm have a few dozen flats in my one million miles or so of driving, but only one was a blowout and it was due to a valve stem failure, not a puncture.

TPMS usually gives you enough warning to get to somewhere safe to change a tires. But, that only works if you have a spare. TPMS doesn't give a warning until the pressure is about 20% below the baseline. You can fix that by overinflating the tires, resetting the baseline, and then bleeding out some are to go back to your desired pressures.

I've turned maintaining tires into an obsession. I check my tires pressures with a dial gauge about every two or three weeks. I usually only have to add about one PSI. My garage is so cramped that I have to check and adjust tire pressures in the driveway. My nosey neighbors are always asking me "Do you have a flat tire?" But, one of them is a hottie. So, I don't mind. She walks her little dog past my house. I give the dog a lot of attention, so that he pulls her up my driveway to see me.