Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Run flats work as expected
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 F33
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
For all of the complaints about BMW's decision not to offer a spare and only offer run-flat tires, I figured I'd post an example where they worked as expected. Driving down I5 in Seattle yesterday, I heard something, but didn't see any debris on the road. An hour later, the tire was completely deflated, but I was able to drive it to my local shop without issue. With 27K miles on the car, I'm going to use this opportunity to switch out the OEM tires and try the Bridgestone DriveGuards. I'll let you know what I find.

All in all, I can understand BMW's decision. Going runflat only reduces the vehicle's weight, allows more storage space in the rear, and for urban areas works just fine. I'll continue to carry a spare when I drive to Montana, Idaho, Utah, etc. Out there, 50 miles of range +/- is nowhere near enough to get you to a repair shop.

-James

Seattle, WA

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i Sportline (loaded)

As someone who does 250 mile trips up to the Adirondacks with a mean Border Collie in the car almost weekly, I decided on hedging my bet with RFTs+ Donut spare + Jack + Plug Kit + Conti Comfort kit + AAA. I do not want to get stranded on the NYS Thruway some Sunday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app