BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

it is official US is getting MB GLK250 BlueTEC.

8K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  AutoUnion 
#1 ·
I applaud MB for bringing new BlueTEC offerring and new diesel engine to our shore. BMWNA will do better, right?

The news release says:"Starting with the biggest change, the GLK gets a 250 Bluetec trim for the model year. Mercedes says this four-cylinder diesel is the most powerful ever to reside in an SUV; the direct-injected 2.1-liter inline-four makes 190 horsepower and 369 pounds-feet of torque. The GLK250 Bluetec comes standard with permanent all-wheel drive."

See less See more
#2 ·
Only thing is the GLK blows, I had one for a loaner for a few weeks, and would never buy one.

#6 ·
It is not as good as the x3, but it costs less too. I think it is actually a pretty good ride for what it costs. MB should get kudos for expanding their diesel offerings. I want BMW to offer diesel x3, 5 and 7 cars. There is a growing market for these and we will get them sooner or later.

#4 ·
The problem is that diesel doesn't sell that good in US. It will take time till people opinion change that diesels are not the same.

My coworkers still have hard time understanding why my car doesn't smoke.

#7 · (Edited)
Agreed....but as more of them end up on the road more people will see how great they are. I have spoken to numerous people at the diesel pump when they see my 335d...they come over curious that I am putting diesel into a 3 series and ask questions. I can think of 2 or 3 that said they were going to the nearby dealer to check out a 335d after seeing mine. Part of the problem with diesels in America is the same problem electric vehicles have....lack of advertising and real world experience. If I ever buy another house (slim chance, but we ll see...prefer condos) I very well may get an i8 as my daily driver. I can see the value and benefits of electric and diesel cars.

#8 ·
that is good. hopefully if the chevy cruiz goes diesel the masses will embrace it and we will have more options eventualy

powered by lemings

#9 ·
The gas is still too cheap in the States compared to rest of the world(excluding oil producers like Venezuela, Kuwait etc). If gas hits $7 gallon then I could see some low to mid income families ditching their SUV for more fuel efficient alternatives. Some countries are already using LPG because it costs less than 1/2 price of gas/diesel. When I was in Thailand in 2007 most taxis were already using LPG.

#10 ·
It's an option Mrs Dunderhi will check out.

#11 ·
I'm holding out for the M550xd, now that would be one awesome machine if it comes to the US.

#15 ·
Hi,

That Mercedes doesn't really look that great... not sure of it's driving dynamics or anything though.

Point above is correct, the price of your Petrol is still very cheap indeed and the vast proportion of USA drivers have no intention of switching to Diesel, I'd hazard a guess a large proportion of those people don't even know diesel cars exist !

The UK has just hit a record high for the price of petrol, and Diesel of course is significantly more expensive still AND we have another rise in line with inflation etc in August. I haven't done exact recent calculations but I imagine our Diesel is the equivalent of around $9.40/gallon USD average.

I hear if driven gently the current F10 5 series 520d has a 1000 mile range!

Cheers, Dennis!

#16 ·
I'd be up for a test drive with the GLK diesel comes out. At this point, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of perfection in driving dynamics for better fuel consumption/emissions and long range.

#17 ·
Good news, MB leaded the line of the efficient 4 cyl diesels in GLK (too bad it's so ugly, looks like a shoe)
I guess Audi will be next with Q5 2.0 TDI
and then finally I predict BMW will possibly bring X3 xdrive28d or X1 xdrive28d with 4cyl twin-turbo oil burner

#19 ·
The Q5 diesel would be nice. Anything in the A6 or A8 line available with an oil burner?:dunno:

#18 ·
It is great that MB is offerring almost everything in diesel these days. Let me paraphase from C&D :

"The rollout of more four-cylinder diesels in the U.S. is long overdue, and we're pretty psyched. And let's be clear: Benz isn't bringing its four-cylinder diesel here for just one car. Investing in emissions and crash compliance means you'll see the diesel four in the next-gen C-class-a mechanical cousin to the GLK-among other vehicles. "

I don't remeber the last time someone introduce diesel AWD CUV to US. :thumbup:

#22 ·
I do not think MBZ has near the trouble selling diesel vehicles as day BMW does here in the states. I have met countless original owners of old MBZ diesels and when it finally comes time to buy a new car, they tend to go new MBZ diesel for the replacement. Their kids have similar dedication to the brand and fuel. I have a feeling VW is like this to some degree. The GLK is a much better option than the bigger diesel SUVs for retired couples as well.

Now my issue with the GLK is cargo space is not great at all. I'd buy a RAV4 unless the GLK dimensions have changed in very recent years.

#24 ·
We will be seeing a lot of diesels here in the next couple of MY's. Mazda has one ready to go as do Toyota and Hyundai/Kia. The new Jeep GC will have a turbo diesel V6 (VM Motori owned by GM and Fiat) in '13 and I would not be surprised to see the GM triplets use that same engine since it will be certified and ready to go.:thumbup: What I would really love to see is a light duty diesel pick up truck!:angel:

#25 ·
For the Amrican side we have to thank Chevy Cruze in pushing their car and also Chrysler eerr FIAT should I say for bringing their I6 single turbo on the JEEP in 2013, BMW better hurry up or otherwise will fall WAYY behind!!!

#27 ·
I do not really consider a half ton truck light duty but instead something like a Ranger(which long ago could be had with a diesel here). With that said there have been rumblings in the past about the Big 3 bringing half ton diesels to the market and they never do. I know Ford has gotten really close a few time and canned the idea each time. I seem to recall Toyota saying they would bring one over but never did. I have read about an Indian made truck that is diesel and trying to get into the States. It might be smaller than a half ton but as I recall the entire vehicle is extremely simplistic and not going to have wide market appeal because of that.

What is Toyota now saying they will bring? Also what has Hyundai said because I recall reading a statement from their top US exec specifically saying they would not bring a diesel Sonata here. Because the DEF systems add too much cost in comparisons to what existing variations of the car go for.

#34 ·
I do not really consider a half ton truck light duty but instead something like a Ranger(which long ago could be had with a diesel here). With that said there have been rumblings in the past about the Big 3 bringing half ton diesels to the market and they never do. I know Ford has gotten really close a few time and canned the idea each time. I seem to recall Toyota saying they would bring one over but never did. I have read about an Indian made truck that is diesel and trying to get into the States. It might be smaller than a half ton but as I recall the entire vehicle is extremely simplistic and not going to have wide market appeal because of that.

What is Toyota now saying they will bring? Also what has Hyundai said because I recall reading a statement from their top US exec specifically saying they would not bring a diesel Sonata here. Because the DEF systems add too much cost in comparisons to what existing variations of the car go for.
Now that the legal issues are over, Mahindra may offer their diesel pick up in the US.

Mahindra Wins Arbitration

#28 · (Edited)
For over a year I've told people that if the VW Amarok was sold here, I'd be first in line to buy it. I've played with the German VW configurator (the pickup is built in South America), got it to the specs I wanted for around ***8364;35k. And the diesel gets around 7,4 l/100km combined.

#29 ·
I am a BMW guy but I think if VW offers Routan 2.0L TDI with manual transmission as an option, it will be a hot seller. A lot of people will consider buying a family minivan that easy makes 40+ MPG, don't you think so?

#33 · (Edited)
#36 ·
mahindra wont ever sell in the us given the poor publicity and given poor product. it looks like it hopped out of the early 90s, like an ford ranger but worse. maybe if they change both name and product...